How can I find out if chickens are allowed in a certain city?

silkiesRawesome

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
I'm planning to move and am in the process of looking for housing. We will be living in city limits, so I was wondering where I can look to find out whether or not chickens are allowed and how many.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Does the city have a web site? If so you could start there, you are looking for links to their ordinances. You could also call or visit city hall and ask if the have the ordinances posted on line. A lot of cities and town have their stuff up on municode.

You can also look at the L.O.R.E. database a link to which is at the top of this forum section. The place you are moving to might already be in there.

You also need to understand that you are likely going to need to look at a number of sections of a towns ordinances as it isn't just a matter of if chickens are allowed but exactly what zone your residence is in, the size of your lot, and then the building ordinances can also play a role.

Do not get your birds until you have all of your i s dotted and t s crossed otherwise you'll likely find yourself in the I got a notice and I have 14 days etc ... to get rid of Fluffy Buffy, Ivory, and Waddles camp.

The previous reply was a good one. It may also depend on how a particular property within the city is zoned. Before you move I would make sure by checking with the city planner and if he or she says you can ask them for the ordinance and/or a letter so you have something in writing. Carol

Back
Top Bottom