How can i fix this leg??

HimmelbergerHen

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2015
Hello! I am in a pickle. I have 5 chicks that I hatched with my class, I have had a flock for a while now so this is definitely not a hatch and dispatch kind of thing, and one of my chicks has something wrong with its leg. It's been like that since it was hatched but it didn't look like a splayed leg initially. Everything looked OK until today when I noticed that the joint right at the bottom of the Downy feathers is much larger than the one on the other side, and he's bleeding a little bit from his foot on that side. He also appears to be in a lot of pain whereas before he seemed to be okay just hobbling around. Back when it looked like it might just be a slight deformity, I was going to let him either grow out of it or learn to live with it. But now that he appears to be in pain I want to see if there's something I can do about it. Additionally, before today he was still using that leg but simply limping on it, and now he's not using that bottom section of his limbs at all and all of his weight is going right on to that strange enlarged joint. I'm going to try to attach pictures to see if I could show what I mean, but this is only my second post or something like that, so I don't really know how to do any of this yet!

If anybody has any ideas as to what is going on and how I can fix it, I would really appreciate it! This is the only one of the five that was given a name, Gimpy, and both my students and I will be heartbroken if we can't come up with a solution for this poor little guy. He is 10 days old.

[/IMG]

I wonder if a vet can do something for it. I wouldn't want it to suffer and wouldn't hurt to have a vet look at it. I would do it soon because it may get worse as it gets older. It does look dislocated. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom