How can i get my chickens to love and trust me im really a good person

everyday at the same time of day.. i give my chickens the "leftovers" from dinner,, or cleaning the fridge,, etc.. i use a big green bowl to take the food out to them.. they know when it is time and come running... i have several different breeds, the bigger brown egglayers usually are the ones that come the closest,, the light breeds (white eggs) are not that trusting.. they will come running for the food but wont come close to me...

i like the LOOKS of the light breeds.. minorcas, andalusians, brown leghorns, ect...and i own a few of each of those breeds......but i dont like their personalities..
now my blue cochins are not production layers but they are so FUN and docile

Last edited:
I just got done reading this book -

How to Win Hens and Influence Pullets

lol.png

i had heard that the whites have a meaner sense of humor and i had white leghorn roosters that fought each other so i had to get rid of them.

Quote:
funny you mention Minorca's....my Miss Priss is the first one to fly up on my shoulder...food or not! That girly is a real love bug...if I havent carried her around the yard yet in a day...she comes to the back door and taps at it till I come out and have a talk wit hher (while I carry her around the yard)

I really dont think it's the breed, I think it's the chicken.

Is it possible for chickens to feel love for a person? I'm not sure. But is it possible for a person to feel love for chickens? Absolutely!

Rather than trying to get your chickens to love & trust you, I think it's more important to treat your chickens with consistent kindness & consideration and prove yourself trustworthy to them. It seems their behaviors are primarily a learned response to avoid danger and to seek survival & safety.

Consistent good care will help your chickens learn that you aren't scary or seem threatening and that you are a reliable source of food and treats. They will be less wary in your presence, and many will let you come close enough to touch them, some will allow you to pick them up.

Some breeds/individuals are much less wary than others and may even run up to you, jump up into your lap or on your shoulder. Is it really love? Or a learned response that you provide safety, security, food, treats? No matter, it's a great feeling to know that you've gained the trust of a vulnerable animal.

I have Red Star's and Black Australorps. The red star's are less timid, and the black australorps are beginning to come around but out of 26 of them, only one hen (a red star) is actually friendly. At about 2 1/2 weeks old, she just latched on to me and I believe would ride around on my hand or arm as long as I would let her. The others are coming around, but slowly. Treats help!

I had some sex-link pullets that were so jumpy when I first got them at 3-4 weeks old. I just thought they would always be that way. And they were for the most part. Then when they were almost ready to start laying around 18-19 wks, somehow moods all changed. They all started the squatting every time I walked by. Now that they are laying, they are so docile and calm. I can just pet them and they stay there. Hopefully yours will change too.

Back
Top Bottom