How can I get my chickens to use their coop?

I've PMed you about adding pics.
smile.png

My hens were free in our very small yard for the first 3 months...They would only go in the coop at night. Now i built a little run and keep them in there. All of a sudden the coop is the place to be. Go figure.

Peggy

Quote:
I have two lights in my coop, one is the big 250 watt red heat light that at this time of year is on 24/7 and I have a big 250 watt white heat light that is on a timer, it comes on at 5, off at 7. My hens can come or go out the door to a covered run any time they want, and I see them often hanging out in the coop, or going in early on cold days to warm thier toes. I can imagine a sudden plunge into darkness would be upsetting if they werent up on thier perches by the time it happens, but I think the red light soothes that issue, I have a baby monitor, and I have never heard distress at lights out.

I have chosen the hours so that they get 14 hours 'daylight' and we stay in good egg production all winter!

We also have an electric coop heater wall panel that turns on at 35* and off at 45*, so everyone stays comfy.

Good luck on the 'herding', until they get the hang of what you want, its kind of like herding cats! but once they get it, you will see the little lights come dimmly on!

my 2 buff orphs go in as soon as the sun goes down and it begins to get dark. they are scared of the dark if they are not in their house. however once in a while we need them in before it is dark and we ( me and dh) tag team them and herd them in, they get the idea and start wakling to their run. also enticing them with some treats helps also. we make sure we have their attention so they see the treat whatever it is for the night and they come running for it.

i also use a 250 white light but noticed someone said its not good at night? why is that?
do i need to buy them a red one?
we turn the light on as soon as we see the temp go below 20 (my buffs are supposed to be very cold hardy.
open to any suggestions.

Quote:
the white light is too bright for night use. most birds will turn thier backs to it, but it really should be dark for them at night. The red light does multiple wonderful things, some I have seen for myself, others I simply speculate at, or have heard rumoured

Its a great security light, lets the birds sleep, and move around, and you can sneak in to do headcounts with out turning on a bright light!

reduces pecking at each other by changing the visible light spectrum! This is proven in studies, but not overly important in a healthy free range flock.

Heats the joint!
lol.png

Someone told me it discourages night time predators because they feel visible and exposed? I find that hard to believe, but hey, anythings possible?

Comforts me with the knowledge that my ladies are safe and warm

I use the white light on chilly cold rainy spring and fall days as well as winter days, to keep the coop warm, and DRY, I often find the birds hanging out under it, basking in its 'sunny'glow, and drying thier feathers! Yes my ladies are spoiled, I know it, and so do they!
big_smile.png

Its a cheap investment for great piece of mind!

Quote:
Running a white light 24/7 can stress them out and can lead to pecking issues.
All creatures, humans included, need periods of day and night. Think about it. How bad would you feel after a couple of days of trying to sleep with bright lights on? Darkness signals our brains that it's time to rest.
I don't imagine herding two chickens would be all that hard. I have 18 and they have 80 acres on which to roam. I could start today and still be herding next week.
he.gif

MDove beautifull Roos.

Mine stayed in the coop when they were first brought home for 3 days, after that they went in and out on their own.
And to day is wet and windy have tons of rain and they are in.
and have the poop door open so they can run in or out if they chose,
But they are smart and staying in.
I have a 125 watt white heat lamp over their water incase we get more freeze as last week.

Back
Top Bottom