how can i get my chicks into their coop at night

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by narwhal master, Jul 23, 2013.

1. my 6 week old chicks are new to the coop and i don't know how to get them to come into the coop from the run at night.

any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'd lock them in the coop for a couple days so they get used to "home."

3. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I hung a flash light in our coop when mine weren't going in at night at first, I'd go out a little before dusk and turn it on. It worked like a charm and I only had to turn it on for them for 5-7 days, after that they were doing it on their own.

4. OK i am just moving them out to the coop tomorrow so i will try that

5. anniemary

anniemary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Locking them up works well as mentioned. I only feed mine at night. I get a bucket of food and call out really loudly "Come on, babies!" as I walk to the coop. They come running from about 200 yards when they hear me.

Pavlov's dog affect. Works for all of them except the ones that have discovered corn in the hog pasture. I can't get them to come home for anything! I figure the hot wire fencing and big pigs are enough to keep them safe from predators.

[​IMG]

6. anniemary

anniemary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    For my laying hens, I too turn on the light in their coop. My hubby calls it the "Bug Party" They LOVE the bugs that come in!!

7. yes my girls LOVE the bugs that fly into their brooder. how high should the flash light hang

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by