how can i get my dog to eat his food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You know I've always heard Old Roy was the worst dog food on the market, but All of my dogs have always ate it, I just lost my oldest dog of twenty years, earlier this year, and i have one that is 15, and her daughter that is 13, and they have always been healthy. So what ever its worth.....

Quote:
You know I've always heard Old Roy was the worst dog food on the market, but All of my dogs have always ate it, I just lost my oldest dog of twenty years, earlier this year, and i have one that is 15, and her daughter that is 13, and they have always been healthy. So what ever its worth.....

We too have never fed our dogs expensive dogfood, and they've always lived long lives.

Quote:
Do you flick his nose and still give him the food? If you do, thats kinda defeating the purpose. I would ban him completely from the kitchen while your eating, even if it doesn't jump it avoids temptation.

Remember the links I gave you a long time ago? They explain all about different dog food ingredients and how to select a healthy food for your dog. Most of the brands you have available to you in the U.K. are ones we are unfamiliar with. You need to read the links I have you and LEARN for yourself how to select a healthy dog food. Quit changing food so often and stop ALL treats now.

I think pink fox farm hit the nail right on the head, honastly. Sorry if I covered stuff
that's already been covered, I just read over this quickly.

When you and your family are eating, he is to be put into a crate or another room. He barks - who cares. Once
you are finished eating, dishes are to be washed and tables are to be cleaned. After this is taken care of, he can
be let out. If he attempts jumping up - let out a loud, short and sharp noise that will immediately get his attention.
This worked for my dog who loved invading the counters for food. As for picking dog foods, there is not a dog food
that is 'the best' for every dog out there. You simply have to do enough experimenting and research to find that one
food that your individual dog does good on. Coat should not be dull, and poops should not be runny or discolored,
rather firm and dark colored. My three dogs are on a food called 'Nurture' that we get at the local grocery store. I
think it's rated MAYBE 2 stars on DogFoodAnalysis.com, however all of our dogs' coats and poops look fantastic, so
we continue to feed Nurture. Don't look just at the most expensive brands. Science diet, Eukanuba & Iams are all
expensive and people buy them because they think 'expensive food is good food' but they are pure junk. Period.
Of coarse, atleast find something with decent ingredients. First 4 ingredients are what the food mostly contains, and
these should not contain by-products or corn. Switching from old food to new food should be a gradual process, not
just BAM here's something new. Start by just mixing a bit of the new food into the old food everyday. Increase the
amount of new food and decrease the amount of old food a bit everyday until your feeding nothing but the new food.

-Ukaih

Last edited:
Quote:
yes i do remember, but honestley i dont understand anything i just take other peoples word for the food, and i kind of agree a little bit with the people who said they feed there dog cheao food because a dog that comes to stay with us it 14 and can still run fast and she was fed bakers and canned food and i dont flick his nose then give him food i flick his nose and if he dosent get down i push him down

since both foods are comparable id contact both companies directly and see if they sell sample packs...most companies do have samples available but you have to ask...
worth a try, get samples form both and see which the dog prefers.

a GOOD food doesnt have to be expensive folks...i feed diamond naturals or 4-health or kirkland (same food different bags lol) i paid $28 for a 40lb back of diamond naturals chicken and rice...theres no corn, no soy and no byproducts in it...first ingredient is chicken...

or i could pay $32 for 34lbs of purina one chicken and rice and add a bunch of corn, byproducts and soy to the list....

i dont want those in my dogs food, so i refuse to pay extra for less food containing those items...lol

a GOOD food doesnt have to cost a fortune...
a dog will also eat LESS of a food that doesnt contain all the fillers so you end up saving in the long run.

that being said i also belive you have to feed a food that your dog does well on.
my dogs dont do well with corn...simple...

but my parents have a cocker spaniel whos got such a seneitive stomach that right now he eats pedigree...its the ONLY food weve been able to find that doesnt give him serious diahrreah, gas and such. hes healthy hes got a great coat, good energy and is a good weight on pedigree so pedigree it is despite being junk...

i think i will probableys go with James Welbeloved, but after that i will change to burns because i change dog foods about once every 3 month

what looks better, James Wellbeloved: lamb (26%), rice (26%), barley (14%), linseed (3%), lamb gravy (2%), alfalfa (1%), seaweed (0.5%), yucca extract (0.02%), chicory extract (0.1%) or Burns: Brown Rice (Min 54%), Lamb Meal (Min 21%), Oats, Peas, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins

People eat people food...dogs eat dog food.
big_smile.png

Another side effect of dogs eating people food...bladder stones. A friend of mine paid about $1200 for surgery to remove her dogs bladder stones. She inherited the dog after her aunt died. Now the dog eats nothing but dog food.

I feed my dogs Purina. Never change. And no table scraps.

My last boxer was fed alot of table food. She was terribly overwieght. My vet told me one thing that has stuck with me...Food is NOT love. That has become my mantra for my remaining 6 dogs.
lol.png

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom