How can i get my hen to stop cracking her eggs?

5chickenluver7

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
Washington State
My barred rock hen wont stop cracking her eggs after she lays them!
About 6 months ago, i let her hatch 6 eggs out. Could she be trying to hatch these eggs to? Its usually just a single peck that doesnt break the membrane, are they okay to eat still?
What can i do to stop her? Any information is helpful! thanks

A little peck might lead to eating them!!
I think the way around it is to collect the eggs more often.
Do you know when she lays - are you able to get the eggs straight up.
The other option is the nesting box where the eggs roll away - out of beak reach !
wink.png

Good luck

My hens did this for a little while, it was my own fault, because if i had more eggs than i needed in a day, i would go up to the run, take them al out and throw 2 or 3 on the ground and let them argue (which would lead to fighting) over who gets the shells, someone told me it is a lack of protein, so try giving them back the eggs shells, god they love them
big_smile.png
She probably lays them, then thinks hmmm i have this all to myself until i get of the next and they find in... nom nom nom crack !

my hen is only 2 y/o!
we already give them their egg shells back and they do love them!
she doesnt break the membrane, just the shell. but to be safe we still dont eat them.
what else could i give them for protien? we have no problems with our other chickens, just her! i think she may be trying to hatch them. because when we let her hatch a clutch she pecked at the egg when they were hatching to help them get out.
we were hoping to let her hatch another clutch next spring, but right now that will NOT be happening.
any other suggestions?

If you are looking for a good source of protein there's tuna or beans -- some feed them chicken, which creeps me out. They'd also get protein from bugs and frogs and crawdads, worms...

I would do as the others suggest which is to collect eggs more frequently if you can.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom