how can i get one hen to go broody

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
Ok i read up on it... I tried the whole dummy eggs.. plastic easter eggs with tried it. No success. I have two brown sex links.. two easter eggers, one oegb and one two year-old buff orphington, (apparently from what I have researched I will have best chances at her going broody) any more tips or tricks I can try????

I know plus my sexlinks were once battery chicks no way possible they will go broody. Lol sexlinks rarely go broody and dont produce healthy offspring i heard?

Lol, that's what I've heard! Sounds like you have some experience with them.
Oh, yes. My Sylvia is three weeks into raising her second brood of chicks this year--and she's about a year old. She hatched her first set before she was seven months old. Hard-core brooding instincts, right there. And it's not uncommon.

My OEGBs regularly raise nests, but not more than one a year, and they're much flightier mothers. In the past year, out of three silkies, one went broody and raised nine out of eleven (one got lost, one just died) one abandoned her nest (I think I'm going to blame our recent thriving rat population for that) and one didn't even think about it.

Back
Top Bottom