3 new pullets, 2 gone broody!

Shaste

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2023
I'm a first time chicken momma. Got 3 chicks this spring, and all 3 started laying about a month and a half ago. Two weeks ago one went broody, a day in the chicken tractor snapped her out of it but she hasn't started laying again yet. Today another went broody! I'm in the pacific northwest so it's not like we have spring weather. Is this just bad luck? They're all Easter Eggers, is that a problem with this breed? Anything I can do to prevent it? I'm bummed at the idea of my egg supply ending right after it started.

Broodiness is determined by hormones so you can't really stop it from happening. Best you can do is be prepared to break it promptly once it starts. Typically they will not resume laying for 2-3 weeks afterwards.

I've never had an EE go broody but any bird can possibly go broody. As EEs aren't an actual breed their inclination to become broody probably depends on what breeds went into the mix.

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the answer. One is a prairie bluebell (araucana x leghorn) and the other a starlight green (prairie bluebell x ?). I'm consoling myself by imagining that maybe if they take breaks they'll have a longer egg laying life span ....

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the answer. One is a prairie bluebell (araucana x leghorn) and the other a starlight green (prairie bluebell x ?). I'm consoling myself by imagining that maybe if they take breaks they'll have a longer egg laying life span ....
All my younger layers went broody last year, like a carousel. All 3 are different breeds too. As soon as one broke another started up, so only 1 or 2 of the group were laying at any given time. I just kept the broody breaker out in the run the entire summer. :confused:

Don't think it affects their laying lifespan in anyway, but I can't say for sure that it doesn't either, just to give you something to be optimistic about. :)

Back
Top Bottom