How Can I Get Rid Of Roaches?

Quote:
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth is used all the time with chickens. We mix it in their dust bath for parasite control, sprinkle it in the nest boxes to keep out creepy-crawleys, and even dust the chicken with it if they have parasites. It is used in chicken feed to keep moisture out and it is used as a safe and gentle wormer. I have been using DE in the brooder and dust bath since my chickens were babies, with no ill effects. I sprinkle it on the coop floor and the roosts, but it doesn't last long, because the chickens eat it.

Quote:
Absolutely correct. NEVER use the type made for pools with animals. It's not the same as food grade and will hurt them.

Well... my chicken apparently likes eating anything... Both meat and vegetables and of course, insects. -- Is it a good thing? No, but he still eats.

I'm glad y'all started this thread back up. I live in the country and we always have roaches outside that try their best to get in the house and of course some succeed. I am always scared they will get a start in the house and I can't stand the thought of that! I bought some of those electronic things that you plug in. They do work! I haven't seen a roach in the house in a couple months. Now that I think about it I haven't seen much of any kind of bug other than flies and fruit flies. I believe I have only seen one roach since installing two of those things in my kitchen. I had rather kill the nasty things but as long as they stay out of the house I can deal with it. I got the things at Walmart and they are called... Bell and Howell brand "Ultrasonic Pest Repellers". I think it was close to $20 for a set of four. The package shows that they repel ants, mice/rats, spiders and roaches. I am sure they repel more pests but they haven't done much for house flies or fruit flies.

I'm glad y'all started this thread back up. I live in the country and we always have roaches outside that try their best to get in the house and of course some succeed. I am always scared they will get a start in the house and I can't stand the thought of that! I bought some of those electronic things that you plug in. They do work! I haven't seen a roach in the house in a couple months. Now that I think about it I haven't seen much of any kind of bug other than flies and fruit flies. I believe I have only seen one roach since installing two of those things in my kitchen. I had rather kill the nasty things but as long as they stay out of the house I can deal with it. I got the things at Walmart and they are called... Bell and Howell brand "Ultrasonic Pest Repellers". I think it was close to $20 for a set of four. The package shows that they repel ants, mice/rats, spiders and roaches. I am sure they repel more pests but they haven't done much for house flies or fruit flies.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Be careful about letting your chickens eat roaches. They carry worms and can be very harmful to your flock. There is a relationship between the roaches, who eat the chicken poop ( feed on and poop in chicken food leaving droppings which the chickens also eat) and the chickens eat the roaches after the eggs are developed and larvae form. Especially worms that get in the chicken's eyes...

Back
Top Bottom