How can I help her?

BlueCamas

Songster
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Milwaukie, Oregon
A neighbor found what she thought to be a "baby hawk" *face palm* and brought it to me. Well the "baby hawk" turned out to be a chicken, a young Speckled Sussex pullet to be exact. She is lethargic and has trouble standing and hasn't opened one of her eyes. I dusted her for mites (she looked like she had em'). I gave her some water and grower crumble, she drank a ton of water and nibbled on the food. I haven't seen her stand up yet but her legs feel weak and "squishy", not muscular and hard like my other birds. She is well away from my other birds just in case she has some very contagious disease. Is there anything else I can do for her? She is very small and probably malnourished. I feel so bad for her
sad.png

Protein time! Boiled eggs mashed up, plain yogurt, meat (fish/chicken)- mine LOVE tuna. Vitamin enhanced water will help. She sounds dehydrated and malnourished. A little TLC and a lot of love will be her best chance.

You'll want to keep her separated from other birds if applicable. The first day or two, she may benefit from being kept in a quiet, darkened area like a dog crate or even a cardboard box or storage tub with a half lid over it or towel. Try to minimize stimulation but having quiet time with her everyday is a good thing I think. You may find she enjoys a heating pad on low or medium but watch for panting. Both of you are going to get through this and maybe even love the best pet you've ever had. Sending happy healing vibes your way.
love.gif

I gave her some wet cat food with her crumble and it seemed like she was enjoying it. i'm really worried about her, she hasn't moved by herself since I've had her. She is sleeps a ton and does't eat or drink as much as I'd like her to. I don't know what to do, I'm afraid she's just going to are away
hmm.png

Somehow I don't think that she's just tired, she won't even move to go o the bathroom she just goes where she sits and she solis her self, I try and clean her off but I'm afraid its going to burn her
hu.gif

Sad news, I decided to have her euthanized
sad.png
I was really hoping to keep her after she got better, but she just wasn't improving at all. There must have been something else wrong with her, but I don't know what exactly. I honestly don't think there was anything else I could have done for her. She was eating and drinking a bit, but she was very weak and never, and I mean never, moved. RIP little Speckled Sussex
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom