How can i help my ducks lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by imQuackers, Jan 24, 2013.

1. imQuackers

imQuackers New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    I have to two 3/4 month old pekin ducks. i know sometimes it takes a while for them to begin to lay, but i'm just being impatient :( can anyone help give me an idea on how to increase the chances of them start laying for the spring?

Also, a good duck egg recipe anybody?;)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

From what I hear, Pekins begin to lay around 7 months of age if they mature in relatively warm weather. Late hatches sometimes mean the ducks will wait till the next spring. But it is entirely up to the duck.[​IMG]

You can help your ducks by providing them with the best shelter, water and food that you can manage. About a month before they begin to lay (I used breeding behavior as a gauge for that), give them free choice oyster shell. Then get them onto layer food once they start laying. There are other strategies, by the way. I did my best to follow Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

Having a good drake to duck ratio (1 to 3, or 1 to 6) if you have drakes matters, too.

A reasonably calm environment helps, as stress interferes with laying.

Plenty of light, protection from extreme temperatures, those help.

1 person likes this.
  3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree. Ducks even within the same breed can vary on the aging of starting to lay. Some of my ducks resumed laying with this last month, i didn't do anything to start it, but we did have a mild spell which i think kicked it off, plus i do have drakes.. which will er.. encourage with the desire of trying to mate.

I choose not to artificially light any of my birds, they only have so many eggs, i want to get as long as possible from the birds so i let things be besides ducks are seasonal layers the break is good for them. Don't worry soon enough you'll have eggs, i know right now i wish mine would quit, i have had 3 cracked eggs this week alone due to extreme cold. Such a waste.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by