How can i help my ducks lay?

imQuackers

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
I have to two 3/4 month old pekin ducks. i know sometimes it takes a while for them to begin to lay, but i'm just being impatient :( can anyone help give me an idea on how to increase the chances of them start laying for the spring?

Also, a good duck egg recipe anybody?;)

welcome-byc.gif

From what I hear, Pekins begin to lay around 7 months of age if they mature in relatively warm weather. Late hatches sometimes mean the ducks will wait till the next spring. But it is entirely up to the duck.
smile.png

You can help your ducks by providing them with the best shelter, water and food that you can manage. About a month before they begin to lay (I used breeding behavior as a gauge for that), give them free choice oyster shell. Then get them onto layer food once they start laying. There are other strategies, by the way. I did my best to follow Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

Having a good drake to duck ratio (1 to 3, or 1 to 6) if you have drakes matters, too.

A reasonably calm environment helps, as stress interferes with laying.

Plenty of light, protection from extreme temperatures, those help.

welcome-byc.gif

From what I hear, Pekins begin to lay around 7 months of age if they mature in relatively warm weather. Late hatches sometimes mean the ducks will wait till the next spring. But it is entirely up to the duck.
smile.png

You can help your ducks by providing them with the best shelter, water and food that you can manage. About a month before they begin to lay (I used breeding behavior as a gauge for that), give them free choice oyster shell. Then get them onto layer food once they start laying. There are other strategies, by the way. I did my best to follow Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

Having a good drake to duck ratio (1 to 3, or 1 to 6) if you have drakes matters, too.

A reasonably calm environment helps, as stress interferes with laying.

Plenty of light, protection from extreme temperatures, those help.

I agree. Ducks even within the same breed can vary on the aging of starting to lay. Some of my ducks resumed laying with this last month, i didn't do anything to start it, but we did have a mild spell which i think kicked it off, plus i do have drakes.. which will er.. encourage with the desire of trying to mate.

I choose not to artificially light any of my birds, they only have so many eggs, i want to get as long as possible from the birds so i let things be besides ducks are seasonal layers the break is good for them. Don't worry soon enough you'll have eggs, i know right now i wish mine would quit, i have had 3 cracked eggs this week alone due to extreme cold. Such a waste.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom