How can I help my Turkins?

Chickens&Dogs_12

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
Its fall and almost winter my turkins (chickens with featherless necis) are not mixing well with my other chickens and I am worried that they will be too cold. My larger chickens sometimes pick on them so they won't go into the coop. I set up a dog kennel in the run for them but I don't think its enough

Naked Necks can be very difficult to integrate. My best success story is to raise them with a different, bossier breed from chicks. I raised mine with Barred Rocks and an Ameracauna, and because they had to learn to stick up for themselves as babies, they developed into tougher birds. My two Turkins are now the top of the pecking order.

I think you're doing the right thing by separating them. Winter seems to be harder on them then other, fully-feathered birds. If you have the space, I think that it probably would be beneficial to put a dog-kennel run (a kennel with a wire pen around it) inside your other run, if that's possible, to help them integrate better in to the flock, and then let them run with the rest when it becomes colder. If you must separate them for longer then that, I would recommend putting a heat lamp in there with them, if you haven't already.

I know that this can be difficult and complicated, but it's worth it! Naked Necks, or Turkins, are a relatively weak breed, but are amazing! :celebrate Keep an eye on them (especially the vent the neck); they are very vulnerable to attacks from other chickens.

I hope this helps! If you need any more help, I would be happy to give it!

Back
Top Bottom