how can I improve calcium uptake?

Quote:
I have Durvet's vitamins and electroytes. I haven't used this for the coop waterer because it's a little giant, and I was worried about it reacting with the metal. I have added a plastic waterer in the run, so maybe that is where I should use it. How much do you use for a gallon of water? It says an 8 oz package for 110 gallons, but I'm not mixing that much. How many teaspoons in an 8oz pkg?

also, it has vitamin D, but doesn't have any magnesium in it. anyone have an idea of what would help the magnesium?

I use similar pkg'd vitamins with electrolytes in my birds waterers. I don't have the pkging any more but when I did the math for mine it came to 1/4 tsp to 5 gals water.

Quote:
I have Durvet's vitamins and electroytes. I haven't used this for the coop waterer because it's a little giant, and I was worried about it reacting with the metal. I have added a plastic waterer in the run, so maybe that is where I should use it. How much do you use for a gallon of water? It says an 8 oz package for 110 gallons, but I'm not mixing that much. How many teaspoons in an 8oz pkg?

also, it has vitamin D, but doesn't have any magnesium in it. anyone have an idea of what would help the magnesium?

I use similar pkg'd vitamins with electrolytes in my birds waterers. I don't have the pkging any more but when I did the math for mine it came to 1/4 tsp to 5 gals water.

that's what I've been using.

EYP is often genetic.

As for calcium, the one hen with thin shells may be just not liking eating those hard oyster shells so does not improve in her. That said, to increase pure calcium uptate, be it bird or human, you have to get those receptors going and increase vitamin D intake. Sunlight or dietary methods both work, and it is the reason milk is fortified for vitD, so we can actually uptake the most calcium from it.

Quote:
I'm not sure I just need to provide more calcium. The other two have calcium deposits on the eggs from so much calcium. Is there another mineral or vitamin that specifically will assist in calcium uptake? I know that both magnesium and vitamin D do that for people. Is there a magnesium rich food?

My hens had oyster shell from the time the first egg appeared. I still had trouble with thin shelled eggs. I gave them yougurt every day for a week, the thin shells stopped. I kept up the yogurt for a couple more weeks, gradually reducing to three days a week, two, one, then none. They laid fine for several months, then a few thin shells appeared. I gave yougurt for a couple of weeks, just 3 x per week, and the thin shells stopped. Now I give yogurt as an occasional treat, maybe every week or ten days, and have had no further problems with thin shells. Couldn't tell you why, but yogurt seems to work.

I have a suggestion. Whey protein powder about 2T mixed with a lg carton of yogurt and 1/4cup of chunky peanut butter. My eggs are hard my girls love it and get some of the mix everyday.

Quote:
I'm still having alot of issues with Emma's eggs (no shell, soft shell). It seems like I have tried everything! I was reading thru the post again...wondering what else I could do.

What brand/kind of vitamins & electrolytes do you put in the water? Where do you purchase it from? and the dose?

Thanks for any information
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom