How can I improve my hatch rates?

Even while doing dry incubation? I wonder if my area is too dry for dry incubation.
What's your ambient humidity? I have 80-95% humidity living on the coast and running dry it never gets below 30%, in arid climates you may need to add a bit to keep it out of the 20s.

A great tip I saw from another member was to place a folded paper towel in one corner below shelf liner towards the front of the incubator and then to put a dropper/pipette worth of water on the paper towel to help bring humidity back up quickly but not long term to spike humidity too high.

I have 80%+ hatch rates, my first 100% rate on quail the other day (first true dry incubation as well!) The biggest thing is consistency, minimizing swings in temp and humidity, as well as thorough cleaning and fumigation between hatches. Some factors are out of your hands, I always ask about diet of the breeding stock when I source eggs from other people, healthy birds have healthy eggs 🙂

Did you open the three eggs that did not hatch?
No, I'm not brave enough to do that yet. Maybe in a future hatch.

Do you have calibrated thermometers spread out in your incubator and is your humidity gauge salt tested?
I have a combined humidity/thermometer gauge. I know that the thermometer is not quite accurate. I have not tested the humidity gauge but it seems accurate as far as I can tell.

What's your ambient humidity? I have 80-95% humidity living on the coast and running dry it never gets below 30%, in arid climates you may need to add a bit to keep it out of the 20s.

A great tip I saw from another member was to place a folded paper towel in one corner below shelf liner towards the front of the incubator and then to put a dropper/pipette worth of water on the paper towel to help bring humidity back up quickly but not long term to spike humidity too high.

I have 80%+ hatch rates, my first 100% rate on quail the other day (first true dry incubation as well!) The biggest thing is consistency, minimizing swings in temp and humidity, as well as thorough cleaning and fumigation between hatches. Some factors are out of your hands, I always ask about diet of the breeding stock when I source eggs from other people, healthy birds have healthy eggs 🙂
I'm not sure about the ambient humidity but I'll give it a quick test. But I'd guess that my area is too dry for dry incubation (if only I knew this before last hatch!).

Thanks for the tips! I'll try to keep the humidity steady!

No, I'm not brave enough to do that yet. Maybe in a future hatch.

I have a combined humidity/thermometer gauge. I know that the thermometer is not quite accurate. I have not tested the humidity gauge but it seems accurate as far as I can tell.
If you want to improve your hat rate I highly suggest you buy another thermometer that you can calibrate and salt test your humidity gauge before you set eggs again.

Also... Opening the eggs is a great learning experience.
Can help you determine why they didn't touch.

If you want to improve your hat rate I highly suggest you buy another thermometer that you can calibrate and salt test your humidity gauge before you set eggs again.

Also... Opening the eggs is a great learning experience.
Can help you determine why they didn't touch.
Thanks for the advice! A new therm is on next year's list. And I do hope to get brave enough to open the eggs soon!

Back
Top Bottom