How can I keep my chickens cool when hot??

katef842

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
In the high 80's and low 90's where I live...summer is here! Can I have several ideas to keep them cool please. I did give them watermelon the past 2 days and when I get a chance to get to the store I will get more.

The most important is shade and plenty of water, and it does not have to be cold, it has to be wet!

In places of high humidity, I have seen people tell of using fans. Hopefully someone will chime in.

But a little shade and a lot of water goes a long ways.

mrs K

Go easy on the watermelon...the sugars are not necessarily good for them...it will also turn their poops a funky color.
Plus why 'waste' good melon on the birds...I do give them the rinds..... but not the sweet juicy flesh!

Shade is the best cure...the deeper the shade the better, they'll dig down into the soil to cool off.
Dampening the soil can help too, if it's really dry where you are.

Late afternoon I'll put down a big very shallow pan with ice cubes and just a bit of water, they'll walk in it and drink as the ice melts. Fans in the coop can help too.

Misters are awesome if you live where it is not humid.

Plenty of other ideas out there, click the link below.
advanced search>titles only> hot weather

Last edited:
1. I wouldn't worry too much until the temps hit mid 90's with high humidity. This combo seems to be when I may loose a bird or two and usually its an older bird.
2. Plenty of shade.
3. Plenty of fresh water and make sure that its in the shade all day. Hens don't like to stand in the hot sun to drink.
4. I will spray the run with water in very hot weather.
5. I use fans in the windows. I have four windows so I put the fans so they blow out, to draw out the heat and draw in the cooler outside air. Now when its almost as hot outside as its inside you would think it would make difference but it does create air flow over and around the birds which helps.

Approximately 7 years ago we had a stretch of heat that hit the 100's for a couple weeks. I actually would fill a 5 gallon bucket of water and "dunk" the hens in it. I would just pick them up immerse them until the water rose over their backs. I held them there for 30 seconds or so. It really did help cool their body temp down for a while. I think it help them cope, gave them a small break from the extreme heat.

I had about 20 birds then, it took time and most put up a fuss but it was for their own good.

Thank you all for the tips! I added a lot more shade today and they seemed to do much better. I will try all these suggestions for another hot day tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom