How can I keep my chickens cool?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chooky_chick, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Chooky_chick

Chooky_chick New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    The Australian summer is nearly here, and it's already in the mid 30's outside. How can I keep my chickens cool during the summer? I have 6 Australorps, who are only 12 weeks old. Please help me and my girls!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Vegetable misters tied to the hose and a couple fans are my best suggestion.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mid 30's I am assuming is celsius??? Looked funny when I read it. In our hen house we have a fan set up to go off at a certain temp and that helps alot for the poor girls. It was 90 here today and that is too hot for those girls.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Fans, misters and cool treats like watermelon and cold yogurt. Also, I added poultry electrolytes to their water when our temps. reached 100 degrees farenheit. It really seemed to perk them up.

5. Chooky_chick

Chooky_chick New Egg

Oct 27, 2008
    :DThanks guys...yeah I meant celcius, which is about 100 degrees in F. I'll try and set up some sprinklers tomorrow and see how they like it...plus I'll freeze a few grapes to feed them.

6. JCfans

JCfans Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Central Illinois
    We have a fan and we freeze 2 liter soda bottles. We just throw a few frozen bottles out when it is starting to get hot and they love to sit on them.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I live in Florida. I just make sure they have shade and plenty of water.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I was thinking get them all some snazzy looking shades and they will be cool [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I come from the CAPITOL of HOT.

Fans... coop IN THE SHADE (Always) and then I would put ice in their waterer any day the temps were over 110. they loved that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by