How can I keep my new 12 week old chicks in their run?

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
I just got 2 SLW from someone locally. I had my DH build a nice little coop from an old desk, and fence off an area about 6' x 4' to keep them in temporarily. 1 of them seems to escape all the time! I've only had them for 2 days. Tonight I got home almost dark and she was wandering around the yard. Luckily I found her before anything else did. Earlier today, I came home and both had escaped into the large fenced area with the rest of my chickens. I put a screen up so they couldn't do that anymore, and somehow she got out into the yard. I would much rather have her escape into the fenced area with the rest of my chickens, so tomorrow morning I'll take the screen off (It's a picket fence - they can fit through the bottom). Are SLW's just like this? My neighbor has one that is always wandering in her yard (thought mine was hers when I first got home).
Anyone have any other suggestions? Besides keeping them locked up in the coop?

How high is your run fence? Is the run covered? My pullets could jump/fly over a 3' fence at about 2 months old. A 12 week old can clear 4', maybe 5'. Also check the fence for any gaps that they might be slipping through. They can fit through surprisingly small spaces. If you think they're slipping through the fence, you could surround the run with chicken wire.

I keep all of our hen's wing feathers clipped. We live in a neighborhood so I don't want them flying over any fences into people's yards. Our Easter Egger still manages to fly over the run every afternoon to get to our bird feeders so I just throw some bird seed in their run. The treats seem to keep them busy when we're not home and able to have them out in the grass.

my coop/run is completely covered in 2x4 welded wire, and we also recently brought home a grown SLW for the flock, that night we went out to check on everyone, and she had somehow wormed her way up and out of the "roofing" and was walking around on the roof of the run, i also have a little MF D'uccle that seems to be able to get out of every single thing also. but im guessing these SLW's are just escape artists.

Back
Top Bottom