How can I keep the food dry/rats out of it? Also can chickens eat...

I made sure when we built our new coop that it had adequate storage for all the cans with the different feeds, like BOSS, dog food, pellets, DE, scratch and a huge trash can for a bale of straw----i had it stored on the groud previously and the mice had a field day.... now it is dry and secure too.

For our chicken feed I use a plastic tote with the locking lid (has the little handles that snap over the ends of the lid to fasten it down). However, our mouse control unit (highly skilled cat) sleeps 8 feet from the storage totes, so I can't say for sure whether they are rodent proof since nothing gets past him. We were using the same totes in our horse barn, and while they kept rodents out, they did poorly keeping out moths, ants, and moisture....so we switched to a container we found at Tractor Supply....

link...http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock-feeders/feed-storage-drum-with-lid-37-gal-2221288

So far, it is working great....and seems to hold a little over two 50 pound bags of feed. The lid is a bit stubborn at first, but loosens up with use (still fits tightly and seals though). I didn't think the price, 29.99 was out of line considering the construction: The thing weighs a ton, is very sturdy, and can be sat directly on the ground if need be without worry of rust etc.

I keep my feed in a trashcan in my basement. I keep the chicken feeder in the coop. The coop and run are surrounded by hardware cloth. mice and rats can't even get in.

Don't let chickens waste food, make them eat it all they will eat it off thr ground if they dumb it out or clean up the dish, if not, you are feeding them too much. Also metal trash cans are best storage for feed and wood shavings, even though mine are in a barn, i still keep them secure.

Back
Top Bottom