How can I keep them cool?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by holachicka, Jun 28, 2010.

1. holachicka

holachicka Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    I't getting super hot here! yesterday 104, today it's going to be 106. [​IMG] Anyone have tips for keeping my quail cool? They were panting up a storm yesterday, and I'd hate to lose any to the heat! I put a couple of large frozen waterbottles in the pen yesterday but I don't think it's enough. What are your ideas?

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Make sure they have dust baths for one, that helps them keep cool. You can also set up a misting system to spray them with, or you can give them a shallow pan of water to play in. I wouldn't recommend the water and the dust bath in the pen at the same time though [​IMG]

3. I just make sure they are in full shade, and have plenty of water.
    They are like dogs, they cant sweat so they pant . . . I think it looks worse than it is.

Man its hot out here this week tho, huh Sarah?

I have my freezer full of small water bottles that I froze, I have been putting them in groups around the yard in the shady spots, and I spray hose water all over the chicken yard to cool things down.

Theres really not much we can do right now, except be thankful we are only now having to deal with this heat!

If it really gets too hot I might turn my shed into a quail barn and hookup the window AC unit, but I really dont wanna hafta do that . . .

Hey Chicka, I got about 3 male coturnix(from Andrew) that need to go, if you wanna trade for a couple from JJ . . . otherwise they go in my belly!

4. holachicka

holachicka Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Can I use just DE for a dust bath? Or should I mix it with some wood ashes? Yeah, I'll avoid mud pits!! [​IMG]

Oh man it is hot!! Can't step outside for a second without melting. I had to spen an hour out there this morning watering my vegetable garden, and let the kids play in the kiddie pool, I almost jumped in with them!! I'll do more frozen water bottles for the birds later on too.

I'd love to trade! I definately want to have a mix of blood. What ones do you want? I have a few goldens, (all boys) a few tibetens, can't tell sex yet, and lots of browns.

Man, if you end up having to make an AC quail barn, those are gonna be some expensive birds!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by