How can I lower the humidity in my coop?

For a right now quick fix you could cut a hole high up on the gable ends of the coop and cover it with hardware cloth...or get a some type of a heating vent type cover for the hole.

Then in the spring when you shingle the roof, you could add a ridge vent to the roof.

Is that roof leaking anywhere...maybe water coming in like that? A tarp might help for now if that's the case.

Sounds like you have a couple of options to get you thru the winter at least, the barn and another coop.
Good Luck! Tough lessons, huh?

No the roof is not leaking I am thinking about adding a hole at the peak and probably put a some kind of heat duct over it to keep the wind from blowing through some. Yes I never thought having chickens would be so much work. LOL neither did my kids.

From what I have read here. You know you have too many birds in too small a space, coupled with not enough ventilation. What I would do, because it is winter, and to minimize the time outdoors working, is build an extension for the coop. Pre-fab the walls, floor and roof in your garage. When they are done, take them out and nail/screw them on to the coop. Should not take to long, and the problem will be fixed.
Also, I would get rid of the heatlamp, it ain't helping and is not needed. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Thats a good thought that might be my weekend project then clear a spot in the garage and see what I can do.

Ok Another question what if I were to just enclose the run portion of the coop you can see it as the A frame portion and also the area under the coop maybe use tarps or heavy plastic so the wing and snow can not blow through there and set up some roosts in the run portion for them? would this give them enough shelter that they could weather it out outside? A lot of times they try to roost under the coop and we pull them out and put them in the coop? I can't imagine it would be a huge temperature difference in the coop as opposed to out in the run area and then come summer I can remove the cover I think I will try to leave a 6 inch gap along each side of the peak the whole way down. In the summer time my chickens free range all day.

Ok Another question what if I were to just enclose the run portion of the coop you can see it as the A frame portion and also the area under the coop maybe use tarps or heavy plastic so the wing and snow can not blow through there and set up some roosts in the run portion for them? would this give them enough shelter that they could weather it out outside? A lot of times they try to roost under the coop and we pull them out and put them in the coop? I can't imagine it would be a huge temperature difference in the coop as opposed to out in the run area and then come summer I can remove the cover I think I will try to leave a 6 inch gap along each side of the peak the whole way down. In the summer time my chickens free range all day.

That would give them more room and be quicker and easier to do than building framing in garage..still add some ventilation tho.

How high is the peak of that A-frame? You would have to build a strong frame to support the tarps/plastic sheeting. Otherwise, a strong wind will tear into that like its a huge sail, probably shredding it. Building that strong frame will require MORE outside time, then it would take to attach the pre-made wall/floor/roof assembly.

The Frame is about 8 or 9 feet high and we have already reinforced it alot already with boards around the base and across the middle on the ends and sides it also has wire all the way up to the top. that has been secured to the frame every 2 inches. But yes I could see how the wind could just shred the tarps, I could also possibly get some sheets of marine grade plastic my dad has it is about a half an inch thick and very stiff. I am trying to do what I can with the materials I have to work with currently most of what I have is buried under about 12 inches of snow, this is the worst winter I can ever remember.

The Frame is about 8 or 9 feet high and we have already reinforced it alot already with boards around the base and across the middle on the ends and sides it also has wire all the way up to the top. that has been secured to the frame every 2 inches. But yes I could see how the wind could just shred the tarps, I could also possibly get some sheets of marine grade plastic my dad has it is about a half an inch thick and very stiff. I am trying to do what I can with the materials I have to work with currently most of what I have is buried under about 12 inches of snow, this is the worst winter I can ever remember.

Sounds like a plan. Goodluck out there, hopefully you'll have a windless day to hang those tarps. I've messed with tarps in the wind, and that is not a fun way to pass the time.

If today is any indicator it is not looking good the wind is horrible. Wonder do you think if I use the black marine grade plastic he has will it help warm it up dring the day?

Back
Top Bottom