how can i mark the chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sydney13, May 26, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i have 25 chicks and 5 of each breed and i am giving 20 of them away to a friend. i want to pick the most friendliest of them to keep so is their any way i could mark the chicks that i want to keep a few days before i get rid of the others? it wouldn't be safe to put a dot of nail polish on their fur just to mark the nice ones would it?

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    I've read you can do it with a washable marker on the back of their necks; it won't stay on long as they are constantly growing new feathers; but it should be enough.
    Oh, yeah: don't use red, they pick at it.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

I use the waxy cattle crayons from TSC. I rub them on a piece of wood to get it smooshy, then take my finger and wipe it on the chick, comes in hot pink, green, blue & orange.

4. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I have seen people use zip ties on their legs...not too tightly though

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I used a sharpie! I know other people use nail polish on their toes, but a line on their head works great for me.

6. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I use food coloring (although maybe I'll have to try the Sharpie idea - thanks, SpringChickens [​IMG] ). I have four chicks marked that way right now. Three have dots on their tummies, and one has one under her wing. Last year our rooster came marked with a dot on his head, which we re-dyed after a while to keep track of him. I decided to mark these girls on their tummies so I could tell which one was which if I wanted, but not have such noticeable dots on their heads.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We also use blue, green and yellow food coloring on the head or back.

8. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    depends on age, I have marked with a marker on their head when first hatched, and zip tie when a month or older

9. Breac

Breac Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'd avoid using nail polish, but if you have any washable children's markers, a dot on the head with one of those works wonders.

10. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    zip ties

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: