how can i mark the chicks

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
i have 25 chicks and 5 of each breed and i am giving 20 of them away to a friend. i want to pick the most friendliest of them to keep so is their any way i could mark the chicks that i want to keep a few days before i get rid of the others? it wouldn't be safe to put a dot of nail polish on their fur just to mark the nice ones would it?

I've read you can do it with a washable marker on the back of their necks; it won't stay on long as they are constantly growing new feathers; but it should be enough.
Oh, yeah: don't use red, they pick at it.

I use food coloring (although maybe I'll have to try the Sharpie idea - thanks, SpringChickens
smile.png
). I have four chicks marked that way right now. Three have dots on their tummies, and one has one under her wing. Last year our rooster came marked with a dot on his head, which we re-dyed after a while to keep track of him. I decided to mark these girls on their tummies so I could tell which one was which if I wanted, but not have such noticeable dots on their heads.

I'd avoid using nail polish, but if you have any washable children's markers, a dot on the head with one of those works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom