How can I really tell which breed he is?

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
Not that it really matters but our large dog, we found him almost 2 years ago. Actually the same day our Cocker Spaniel passed away. I at first assumed he was a Bouvier Des Flandres, he was shaggy and looked like a Bouvier. Once he was bathed and had a vet visit, vet said he was not broad enough across the head or back to be a Bouv and was a Giant Schnauzer. His tail is docked close like a Bouv , but his ears have been cropped and if clipped like a schnauzer certainly looks the part.

So, I did some reading, his personality fits both breeds. He is a barker, good watch dog, will herd, but also laid back and a bit lazy. He can be head strong.

So, is there any way to tell for sure what breed he is? His height at shoulder is in range for both, but weight is more along the lines of a Bouvier (although I know weight is certainly not a good indicator)

Here are a couple pics:

Kind of scruffy looking

1845_gordysept11a.jpg

More clipped look

1845_dogbed3.jpg

He looks like a Giant to me. Lucky you for finding him - I love them! Bouvs have a different texture hair, different shaped head, etc, from your boy.

----------------
Heartsease Farm
Lipizzans
Irish water spaniels
Pyrenean Shepherds
www.madcap.name

Quote:
I know my pics are not proper, I will have to see what I have on my computer, my camera is broken . I also had a groomer comment on him looking like a Giant instead of a Bouv. Like I said, it is not going to make a difference, I love him and he is definitely attached to us and a big part of our family. I would just like to know.

His tail crop, but be just a close crop, I had Jack Russell puppies done by 2 different vets and one did them closer than I wanted, even though I marked them myself
hmm.png

I know this will sound strange, but they have dog DNA kits. You buy the kit, swab the mouth and send it in. If you really, really wanted to know what that beautiful boy is, this is the way I would go.

From all reports I have seen, that DNA test for dogs is kind of crap. A woman I know just got the report back on her dog and it had all sorts of rare breeds in it...Lowchen, brussels griffon, italian grayhound, etc. I don't know about you, but I have not seen too many stray purebred dogs running around mating with each other. lol! Thre was a woman who had some breed of show dog (forget what it was now) and she had one of hers tested just for fun....the dog came back a real mix of stuff! so the doggie DNA testing is not really a good indicator of breed, although it's probably kind of fun.

Your lovely dog looks more Giant than Bouvier to me. The coat doesn't look quite right.

I know what you mean with the Jack Russell tail crops. I never could find a vet who would do them right. I finally learned how to do it myself and never had a bad tail after that.

Yeah, the dna tests are junk, imo. Like carolinagirl, I know people who've gotten wacky results. A dog who looked like a boxer/mastiff cross came back boxer, maltese, wheaten terrier, and such things. The only dna test I would believe would be a parentage test buut you have to have the parents for that so won't work in this case.

Quote:
As I said, it is not a huge deal, however I would like to have a good idea. I would like to be aware of any medical conditions relevant to whatever breed. I am leaning towards Giant, mainly due to his hair coat and his head is narrower.

I did contact a local breeder when we first found him, after I had him checked for Micro-Chip and ran ads with no one claiming him. They never bothered to answer my email
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom