how can i stop my quail from laying eggs?

lullabee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
hello! i have a female (golden giant) coturnix quail, and for the past year she has been laying an egg every day, pretty much non stop. i had another female, her sister, but she died a few months ago from unknown causes, and she had the same laying pattern. i've noticed that the girl i still have has started to get a prolapse? it isn't very bad at all but i've also read that laying so much shortens their lifespan a lot, and i want her to be healthy and happy for as long as possible :c

for the past few months she's been living with her brother, though i'm going to have him rehomed as soon as i can because he's been plucking her face, and they've also had a baby (that i incubated, to replace the boy). anndd she also lives outside in a little run with a house, though she used to live inside with me up until i got the male, because he's really noisy and pretty annoying.

i don't know if there's any way i can stop her from laying so much? :c i'm willing to try whatever possible to help her, i love her very much.

Bring her in the house or shut her in her coop so you can controll the light because a hen natrally stops laying in the winter not because of the cold but because of the shorter days so if you give her a short day she wont lay :)

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your not forcing her with 24/7 light I don't see any real risk. The extra strain of laying is very small if any, providing there healthy and have good nutrition

Back
Top Bottom