How can I take the chicks home in the best way possible?

Not experienced enough to give an educated opinion, but I personally worry about stuffed animals due to the fibers of the fake fur and stuffing. Since chicks can get respiratory issues, I avoid them. I would prefer a small hand towel- something along those lines.
Thank you for the answer I didn’t even this out that😊will put in a towel instead

Do you have a brooder plate/platform type heat source you can use for them? It might be comforting for them to be able to go underneath something warm since they were used to doing that with Mom. I bought a Brinsea but the producers pride kind TSC carries might be cheaper. It ended up being a good investment for me.
thank you for your answer,I have a heat plate that I will use😊

UPDATE: the chicks are collected and home.
One of them has a little bubble under its wing, right where the bone is, is that ok? There are feathers Growing on it and it’s acting normal😊
The thing is also not growing

Last edited:
I picked up 8 chicks last Sunday. I have heated seats in my truck so I used those To keep them warm. It was a two hour drive and the hatchery owner said they would be fine with no auxiliary heat but I had it so I used it. They were in a small USPS box with a layer of straw in the bottom. I left a little opening in the top of the box.

before I decided to to that trick, I remembered that I had gotten a battery operated hand warmer. I had already set up to use that. Medium temp on it is about 95 degrees and high was 102. I had already wrapped it in a towel and tried it out but with the heated seats, I didn’t need it.

Anyway, they were quiet the entire trip and we made it just fine. They were very thirsty when we got to my house though, so have some water ready for them. And feed.

UPDATE: the chicks are collected and home.
One of them has a little bubble under its wing, right where the bone is, is that ok? There are feathers Growing on it and it’s acting normal😊
The thing is also not growing
How’s Mama tho? Does anybody care about her? The poor thing; She must be devastated.

I just grafted 3 chicks to my Silkie hen that’s been sitting for 3wks on wooden eggs, patiently waiting and working so hard for her babies to come one day. — Now, she loves these chicks so much; you can literally feel it while watching her with them. I just couldn’t imagine taking them all away to give to somebody else. This is cruel, IMHO 😢

How’s Mama tho? Does anybody care about her? The poor thing; She must be devastated.

I just grafted 3 chicks to my Silkie hen that’s been sitting for 3wks on wooden eggs, patiently waiting and working so hard for her babies to come one day. — Now, she loves these chicks so much; you can literally feel it while watching her with them. I just couldn’t imagine taking them all away to give to somebody else. This is cruel, IMHO 😢
Hi, the mama is doing great, and is with the flock now, of course the first day she was a little confused but other than that she really didn’t care and went on with her life with the flock😊

Back
Top Bottom