How can I tell a rooster from a hen?

WhenInRhome

Chirping
May 6, 2015
Rhome Texas
Ok this should probably be obvious, but I have no idea. I bought 4 hens from a breeder. She was selling her flock of 50 hens and they were all in one large pen together. There were tons of free range chickens running around. I watched her take them all out together.

Yesterday the teenage boy who lives next door told me he thought one was a rooster. It is bigger than the others and the only one who fluffs up its feathers on its neck when we were catching them to put them in the coop. It is also the only one who will look straight up and try to fly out of the run. It has wire over the top so it could not get out. It looks exactly like the others except the fluffing of the neck feathers and it is larger. I have not seen it on the others backs but I do not see them a lot and when I am there they are still so scared of us they run into the corner. Are there any obvious differences between them I can look for?

No long feathers that I can see. They are 10 months old. I checked out the breed in google images and some of the Buff Orpington roosters looked very similar to the hens.

Are those your birds in the avatar photo? If so, they all look like hens - granted the back one can't be seen clearly, but what is seen doesn't appear questionable at all to me.

This is the one in question.

It tail curves up more than the others and it fluffs it neck feathers when agitated.
It is the one in the front on the right

x2 Those birds have no rooster features at all.

x2 Those birds have no rooster features at all.

Are those your birds in the avatar photo? If so, they all look like hens - granted the back one can't be seen clearly, but what is seen doesn't appear questionable at all to me.

oh thank goodness! I was worried when the kid told me it looked like a rooster. YAY! I am really glad because she is my daughters favorite. She named her Pumpkin.

Those are some lovely LADIES you have there! She couldn't do more to say, "I'm a girl" if she dropped an egg in your neighbor boy's lap, lol.

Those are some lovely LADIES you have there! She couldn't do more to say, "I'm a girl" if she dropped an egg in your neighbor boy's lap, lol.

Thank you! I think he said that because the way she fluffed up at him. I have not seen many chickens up close before so I had nothing to go on lol

Back
Top Bottom