How can i tell if I have bantam Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Donnigan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I have three Barred Rocks and noticed they were growing slower then my other chicks so i made a thread about it. People said they might be bantam Barred Rocks. I got them from Rural King and the sign above the tub just said " Barred Rocks". The smallest one weighs about 1 pound and they are around 10 weeks old. How can i tell if they are bantams? Thanks

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Bantam Barred Rocks are very rare. The fact that you got them at a Rural King alone tells me they're not banty Rocks. That's the kind of thing I'd expect to cost quite a bit and only come from a real breeder.

It's possible they are not Barred Rocks (plenty of feed stores mislabel their birds) or that they are simply runty for whatever reason.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I've seen bantam barred rocks sold through hatcheries so I don't think they're THAT rare, though most don't have them this time of year.

Do they actually look like barred rocks? Chicks get swapped and bind get mislabeled.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding?

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can find out where the chicks came from, and call the hatchery or look them up online, to see if they actually have the bantam variety they appear to be. Or they might be very small 'Barred Rocks' with a lot of Leghorn in their pedigree. Mary

6. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Photos Please!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by