1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can I tell if my chickens are cold hardy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken999, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Chicken999

Chicken999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    I am going to buy some 17 week old hens, and I am wondering howI can tell how cold hardy they are. I live in CT and the past winter has been very cold and I am worried about whether or not they can stand the low temps.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Most chickens do fine. If they have large combs you need to look out for frost bite and make sure your coop has adequate ventilation as the humidity is what can harm the birds in the cold.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    "Red Cross"? As that is not a breed, it is difficult to comment on the specifics as it sounds like you are purchasing some mixed breed chickens (perhaps red sex links, perhaps just a cross of a red bird and something else?). As PuddinPuff said, the main concern regarding cold hardiness would be for single combed breeds with large combs prone to frost bite in cold, humid settings - making proper ventilation all the more important.

4. Chicken999

Chicken999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Yeah, sorry. I didn't realize that wasn't a breed. The Red Cross is a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a New Hampshire. I edited the question.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Both Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires are cold hardy breeds, so your Red Cross should be as well. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by