How can I tell if my pullet wants to kill my chicks

The difference is that the older birds are actively and aggressively going after them, rather than giving them a peck on the head if they get too close. That's how it's been in my experience.
If that's the case then yes more caution is necessary. That's why I like to supervise the first couple of visits between chicks and adults, to see how they fare overall as a group, who the problem hens (if any) might be, and how effectively the chicks run away/hide if there is a pursuit.

how can I tell if she is just interested or wants to kill them? What are some signs/behaviors?
Signs and behaviors. That requires some thought. It is pretty normal for older chickens to be curious when they first see young chicks. They can gather around and may peck some, chickens often explore with their beaks. That doesn't worry me.

If immature chicks invade the personal space of older chickens, they are liable to get pecked. It doesn't happen al the time but it happens often enough that younger chickens usually learn to avoid the older ones, to try to not invade their personal space. When they first get pecked they run away. The other chicken may or may not chase them a bit but usually they get way without a problem.

The problems come in when they get trapped and cannot run away. If that happens the older chicken may stand over them and peck them, often going for the head. That is dangerous, they can kill them. That's why having enough room is important.

You can get a hen or pullet that does not let them get away. They chase them down and start pecking them, usually at the head. Or they will even go after them even if they did not at first invade their personal space. I've never seen this myself but people on here I trust say they have. My experience is more when they don't have room to run away they are in trouble. Even that is rare, but I have a lot of room.

Signs and behaviors. That requires some thought. It is pretty normal for older chickens to be curious when they first see young chicks. They can gather around and may peck some, chickens often explore with their beaks. That doesn't worry me.

If immature chicks invade the personal space of older chickens, they are liable to get pecked. It doesn't happen al the time but it happens often enough that younger chickens usually learn to avoid the older ones, to try to not invade their personal space. When they first get pecked they run away. The other chicken may or may not chase them a bit but usually they get way without a problem.

The problems come in when they get trapped and cannot run away. If that happens the older chicken may stand over them and peck them, often going for the head. That is dangerous, they can kill them. That's why having enough room is important.

You can get a hen or pullet that does not let them get away. They chase them down and start pecking them, usually at the head. Or they will even go after them even if they did not at first invade their personal space. I've never seen this myself but people on here I trust say they have. My experience is more when they don't have room to run away they are in trouble. Even that is rare, but I have a lot of room.
Thank you. This is very helpful. This is my first time integrating chickens/chicks and I really wasnt certain on what a normal interaction would look like. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

You could pick her up and hold her nearby the chicks with no barrier between them and see if she is actively trying to go for them.

I did this with my hens one by one to see if anyone would be a problem when integrating with a broody and I was able to find out the troublemakers that way. You just need to be ready to hold her back, cause they can 'really go for it' with that barrier down.

With small babies and no broody, plan a few weeks of see-but-dont-touch in a high traffic area.

I've had my 3 wk olds outside for most of the past two days set up in a pen smack middle of the run. They're well feathered for being so young and it's been quite warm recently, which helps. The 3 big girls are 'very' interested at the moment. The 'most' interested girl keeps puffing up like a turkey while making a show of preening herself in front of them and I can't help but think she's throwing her weight around.

She does peck at them quite slow and deliberately through the fence. I think she kinda has it out for the boys as they tend to want to peck back a bit. Looks like they're sorting things out tho.
Thank you. I appreciate the info!

Back
Top Bottom