How can I tell when my BRs are getting ready to lay

capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
I have 4 barred rocks. They are just now 15 weeks old.

Any way I can get an idea of when they might start laying eggs?
Any tell tale signs I would notice?

thanks. My first chickens....I'm sort of chomping at the bit waiting
for these eggs!

Mine took a solid 18 weeks to lay in hot & humid Florida. Everyone will post that They'll get redder combs & such, but time is the real thing to wait for. They had very red combs for many weeks before I got eggs!!!
roll.png

My Barred Rocks started laying @ 20 to 22 weeks. Combs and wattles, bright red, squatting when approached are signs. These are not a production breed so I would just chill for another month or so if I were you. You will really enjoy it when they do.

I have a heritage BR that I hatched from eggs from Kathyinmo that I'm still praying is a hen.... it's hatch mate already went to that great rooster heaven in the sky. Yum.

Our barred rocks are nineteen weeks old. Flora has been red for weeks and has a gorgeous wattle. Greta is red with a small wattle and may be squatting. Ruthie is just turning red with a tiny wattle. Ruthie and Flora were interested in the plastic egg in the nesting box. No one has laid. I am going away in a week and will be gone three and one half weeks. It would sure be fun if they lay before I go. Who knows?

I have a question along these lines too. I have 2 silkies hens, 24 weeks, 3 large breed, Columbian, BO, and EE, 20 weeks. I have 2 silkie roos also 24 weeks. NO EGGS!!!? I've looked for the signs people talk about, red comb, egg song practice, squating, roos wanting to mate. Each day I see one or two things, but the next day all signs are gone. The combs change color throughout the day, is that normal? The roos are trying to do their thing
smile.png
No singing or squating. They're getting old!
lol.png
I really want eggs
fl.gif

I am totally frustrated with my girls. coyotes cleaned me out over winter so started with all new chickens early spring. I have several out of 21 'girls' that have been squatting for several weeks, I've heard the clucking screams and no eggs yet. I am feeding them Albers Layer plus lots of squash, berries, melons, and human clean corn on cob. They are treated like royalty!! Some are even 6 months already! I will have to get tough with them & threaten if they don't start laying soon!! LOL

Darn stinkers that they are!!
hu.gif

rant.gif
he.gif

Quote:
Do u let them free range? If so start looking in hiding places or watch/follow them from distance to find hiding area! Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom