How can I.......

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Anguissette, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    How can I possibly name my BO girls when they all look exactly alike!? Seriously no kidding. I had these visions of being like my granny and going out to feed my flock and having them all run to me while I called them by name (hey it is my vision don't judge me!). So they come running......in a big buff blur of similarity! Help!

2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Haha, it actually is possible. I know that at first when mine were young I was exactly like you. However around 2 months I had them all named and could tell who was who. Looking at the comb, slight colouration differences and feathers help a ton!

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I put a legband on mine so I could tell the difference when they weren't side by side. U can get a variety bag with all different colors. Now u have to remember the names. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    You'll get to know your girls from each other as they age. Spend time with them and you'll see their different personalities.
    It's easy once you know them.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I can not tell any of my BO's apart. I have 6 of them. I can tell a couple of my RIR's apart, though, only because their combs and wattles are bigger and redder (come on eggs!) than the rest. Of course, this will change in time when the others catch up. However these same two also will follow very closely to my leg when I am out in the yard...hoping for treats! They get a little miffed if I don't give them any and will peck my leg, like "Hey, where's my treat?" So instead of individually naming my girls I just call them Biddy Girls, collectively. Now my roo has his own name, Rudy, but he doesn't know his name. They all come running when I go outside and start calling 'Biddy, Biddy, Biddy! Come on!' It works for me...

6. BlakesWife

BlakesWife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Iberia Parish, Louisiana
    paint their toenails? haha. They are girls after all. Go get a bunch of those little cheap fingernal polishes for a buck each at walmart. You know, the bright blue, green, orange, red, yellow, etc.

7. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    I am so glad to see I am not alone....heheh.

I really like the different color leg bands idea. At the moment their combs are still very small and I swear they conspire in their coop at night to arrange their feathers EXACTLY the same! The guineas I have no problems with, they all have distinctly different patterns and our 1 little gorgeous sebright.....all named. Of course I am pretty sure none of them care as long as I keep bringing the nummies [​IMG]

8. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Hahahha I have the same problem! And I did think of the legband idea but I thought I would be made fun of. So now I just call them all Balina (name of the chicken on Return to Oz).

I love just calling "CHICKEN!" and they all come runnin! Most the time, I don't have to call them. I am the treat lady, after all [​IMG]

9. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Who cares if they laugh at you. I just call "Here chick, chick, chick " and they all come running. But if I have them in my lap or feeding them treats . I call by name. I originally put legband on so I could make sure that when I bring them in house for individual attention, I was giving equal time to all and not missing anyone. Since I only have four chicks, this is feasible. Quit laughing!!

10. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Not laughing! Promise! I call out "CHICKENS! CHICKENS!" and they all come runnin. All you can hear is a stampede of little chicken feet. I end up with a few in my lap and most around my feet. I'm still thinking about the legband thing. You have a good point!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by