How can it zip without a membrane pip? please help??

lutz123

Songster
Apr 10, 2011
Loudoun County - Hamilton, VA
I have a guinea that pipped the shell last night sometime but I didn't see a beak (no hole visible in membrane), and I realized a couple of hours later that the shell is cracked all the way around but I can't see any openings in the membrane. I just don't get how it's possible that the egg can crack without the membrane breaking. Three have hatched fine so far and another needed help - after nearly 3 days! The one I helped had a very tough shell with big pieces that broke away, not tiny...and the membrane was definitely thicker than a chicken egg.

I don't see the "breathing" movement, but I'm so new to this I don't know whether that's always after they are actually breathing air. I can't see through the membrane at all to see where the beak is anyway, even if I eventually wanted to help. Should I be prepared to help tomorrow if it doesn't pop out later? Is this guinea normal?

I'm not worried that this one is late (it's day 28). The eggs were split between two different incubators at slightly different temps/humidity until lockdown. This is one of 4 remaining - no other pips.

Last edited:
Anyone? I'm nervous about this one. I don't want it to die if there's something I should do in this case. If it hasn't pipped and breathed air yet, how long is it fine for in the egg? The membrane is white or tan but it completely opaque. I didn't get to see any of the others actually hatch so I don't know what to expect.
hu.gif

im no expert. i am hatching guineas for the first time (they are due today) but they are okay without piping the membrane for quite a while (mine went hours between chirping and piping and actually puncturing the membrane), so i'd leave it unless it looks shrink wrapped. but i dont know, like i said im not an expert, but thats what i would do

Poor little thing didn't make it. I pulled it out and the membrane was rock hard (humidity 65%). The other three eggs showed no movement. I think next time I will help earlier in this situation. If it was trying to zip it was obviously ready, but as was pointed out to me, it could have been weak already.

while helping out some turkey chicks last weekend, i was able to chip away the shell from 75% of the egg while leaving the membrane intact. if the membrane was too tough for it to break through, i could see it being able to break the shell without actually going through the membrane.

i feel so bad for chicks that this happens to. i have a bit of claustrophobia, and it makes me feel a bit anxious to imagine what it must be like trying to get out of a shell that has you so restricted

Back
Top Bottom