How can they possibly see scratch seeds in pine shavings?

i know most of you country folks don't see this... but when my birds see an airplane in the corner of their eye, they do the noise and look up... LOL... it cracks me up... but i trip out because they see the planes way before i do upon the horizon... it sucks for them because there's a flight path going to LAX from my house...

Aloha,

I do believe that it is possible because I have fed feral chickens around my yard and my hens that free range in their run covered in leaves. I mean major leaves I collect tehm and instead of trashing it I just put it in their run so they can mulch it up. But I throw the grain on there or as they are scratching. But there is always extra tidbits that are running so it depends on the hens. They will all often just look for the bug and peck at the scratch while they are bug hunting. Sometimes they eat very tiny pebbles and bugs that I don't even notice. But they do hunt diligently for the grain and the bugs until it is all gone. I wouldn't doubt that they could find it in pine shavings.

I've tossed them a blue berry when picking near the chicken yard that has bounced, rolled and ended up in the weeds and they track it down. Scratch in litter is child's play.

I actually watched one of my birds eat the pine shavings! But I'd have to agree with everyone else, they can see a lot better than we can. I'll toss out black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) among the brown leaves & on the dark soil, and they manage to find them. I guess I'll see how many they missed by how many sunflower plants I have next spring
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom