1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can this be????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Jan 9, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I don't know how this is possible unless it's just my usual bad luck. It's really nothing serious just not what I hoped for. I hatched out 6 ducklings so far. I may have one more to hatch. The other 3 may not hatch. Basically I had 6 eggs out of 14 that hatched. Now, get this. I have 5 boys and 1 girl. What am I to do? I am going for females........ ugh. I vent sexed them. I've already put a post on Craigslist. Guess I will have to try again.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Isnt Mother Nature great1!! [​IMG]

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Since you cannot "sex" eggs, why not just buy the sexed hens as duckling? Less frustrating. [​IMG]

4. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I finished incubated a partial nest of eggs that a dog chased the hen off of. 4 eggs hatched, all 4 were drakes! Very disappointing.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I feel everyone's pain. Sometimes its all females in wild type ducks . Which sucks for me cause everyone wants pairs. but great if its domestic's.You never know.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sometimes, also, in the wild, they hatch out 50/50, but then several die or disappear and you're only left with one and it's a boy (such as in Ducky's case at my lake). I've seen larger families with only males, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by