How can we fix my chicken foot when she wont let us touch her!

I agree,i think it is because of the toe/flaky skin.
I think you got some good advice! My chickens are not the kind that like to be picked up so taking them off the roost at night is probably your best bet. Wrapped in a towel maybe so she doesn’t flap around. I know you can put petroleum jelly on the legs to kill the mites. Not sure about the toe!!!

I think you got some good advice! My chickens are not the kind that like to be picked up so taking them off the roost at night is probably your best bet. Wrapped in a towel maybe so she doesn’t flap around. I know you can put petroleum jelly on the legs to kill the mites. Not sure about the toe!!!
Thank you so much!

My full grown chicken has a crooked toe, that I need to fix with vet wrap. I am a little confused on how to wrap it. Should I bend her foot straight and then wrap it? Should I rewrap it every day? How long does it need to stay on there? Also this chicken is very skittish,any recommendations on how to hold her, so we can do the procedure? The wierd thing is that crooked toes is common in chicks but not full grown chickens!

Thank you
She has had it for a while,she has a little red on her leg. Picture coming soon.
It is hard to see where it is crooked because it is under the leaves. But it is the foot in the centeraa
View attachment 2398047
When you gather her up, please take some more photos of her legs and feet.
I agree, her legs don't look good.
Clean her feet and legs and apply vaseline into and underneath the scales of the legs and feet. She's feather footed and looks like she has a lot of broken feathers, so the raised scales may be due to SLM or follicles, hard to tell - but regardless, the vaseline will help.

If she's an adult and the toe has been crooked for a while, leave it alone.

Clean her feet and legs and apply vaseline into and underneath the scales of the legs and feet. She's feather footed and looks like she has a lot of broken feathers, so the raised scales may be due to SLM or follicles, hard to tell - but regardless, the vaseline will help.

Ok thank you, will she be ok for the rest of her life,will not fixing it hurt her?

She is also molting,so I think her feathers are falling off but not breaking.

Ok thank you, will she be ok for the rest of her life,will not fixing it hurt her?
She is also molting,so I think her feathers are falling off but not breaking.
Let's see the feet/legs first.
If the toe has been bent/crooked for a while, then generally you can't fix it.
If she just broke it like yesterday, then splinting may help.
Is she having trouble walking? Get some photos of the bottom of her feet too.

Back
Top Bottom