How can we make our Chukar happier? [BUMP]

My chukars poop has been more inconsistent and sometimes watery as of late, I will try feeding her some probiotics, luckily I am pretty sure their isn't any blood in them.

Hello!
I also have a rescue Chukar!
I know you've had yours for awhile now but I've had a pretty ntense learning curve so heres some stuff I learned!
Aside from plenty of space to move about and a sand box for him to bathe, the best thing I've done for my Chukar is to get him another Chukar. They live in groups and tend to be very anxious in general, but more so alone.
Because they can be aggressive, I made sure to get a female, even though I thought my rescue was a female. With 2 girls or a boy and a girl they will gt along, and mine do pretty well, though my original rescue is clearly a male!
You asked about poop. It should be similar to the pellets you feed rabbits. Hard, and with little to no smell. Anything else is due to incorrect food or stress. They should not eat chicken feed. Any "Turkey Wild Game Crumbles" is fine and you can hve it delivered via Amazon & other sites.
They love mealworms as a treat! Cracked corn is fine as a treat but not on a regular basis. Mine love raw unsalted crushed almonds but won't touch peanuts.
They also get a "salad" each day since grasses are a part of their natural high dessert diet.
I try different weeds and grasses. I attach the weeds and greens to large clips, and bury the clips in a bowl of dirt to steady them so the birds can actually eat them. Otherwise, they have a tough time.

Chukars love to be outside so even if you can't build an aviery, an outside space would be great.
If you can't find her a chukar friend, get her a mirror...and some type of toy that you can hang on it. This made my chukar pretty happy in the months before i found him a partner.

Back
Top Bottom