How can you get ducklings to like you?

alot of handling is all I can say, and even that, though it may work for a while, needs to be kept up, otherwise, unless the ducklings saw you from the time they hatched. you are "mom" but you're not "MOM", if that makes sense, when it comes to choosing you, over other ducks,if you aren't "MOM" they'll choose other ducks,

Boris and Sage where both handled constantly as babies clear into almost thier 2nd months, then I let them do thier own thing, and while they run from me, if i can get ahold of either of them, Sage STILL complains like she always has, but she tolerates it, and Boris lays his head on my should and lets himself be petted.

they were hatchery ducklings.

on the other hand, my same age naked neck cockerals(and possibly some hens),love me, they follow me around like a dog, but there is only one who still lets me pick her(or him) up and pet and love on her(him).

all baby ducks will run from you if you try to pick them up... it's their way. Even imprinted bonded ducklings will run. I think it is a survival instinct. Baby ducks are often eaten by hawks/eagles so they naturally fear things coming from above. And if you're bending down to pick them up, they will get scared and run away. Mine do that too, so i wouldn't worry

Handling, and lots of treats!!!! Meal worms,sow bugs, bug bugs (LOL), grubs, worms.. letting them eat their duck crumbles from your hands. spending lots of time with them.

Back
Top Bottom