How can you regulate humidity in bator without monitor

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poulet, Apr 5, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I have eggs due to hatch very soon, I only have a still air bator with no humidity monitor just a tray for water. Shall I just put some damp cloths in and hope for the best ?
    Does anyone have any insight on this ?

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I would try to get one, but if you can't then yes fill the trays. Where I live, I have the whole bator floor covered with damp socks and sponges and can barely keep the humidity up. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    if you have a hovabator than it should have come with instructions. do what they say when it comes to filling the trays. for the last three days just give it a goood bit of water and your peeps should be fine. good luck.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    It is a covina but don't know if you know that mark I live in France . There is no instructions on the water trays for the last few days the climate here is a bit warmer than England and the bator is in the house so should I just put more water in and do I block the holes at the top ?

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Bienvenue [​IMG]

I am English, though I live in Oklahoma. Many of my family live in France.

Leave at least one of the holes open, fill any water trays and open a second hole if you get condensation inside.

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:I had no idea Twigg~do you have an accent then?

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I had no idea Twigg~do you have an accent then?

I can't hear it but.... my wife tells me that I have this ability to be extremely rude to people, and they thank me [​IMG] She puts it entirely down to the accent, and I do try not to be rude. [​IMG]

8. eggonomist

eggonomist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Singhampton, Ont, Canada
    Ha Ha, the first time I read your post I thought, another Brit. You can read it in the posts despite the lack of an accent.

9. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Well .... in the spelling too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by