how can you tell if a chicken is broody?

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Well, that's one sign.
lol.png

They will puff up, raise their neck feathers and make a growling sound if you reach to take an egg from underneath them. Their normal broody posture in the nest is not just sitting there (you know they are crouched and semi-standing when they lay an egg, right?) but they almost flatten out really low and wide.

Plus, they do not go to roost at night, but stay on the nest.

Hope this helps!

noodleroo

Snuggles with Chickens
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Rockport, Tx
Quote:
Yep. They look kinda flattened out on the nest and will most likely draw blood if you try to reach under them...

creative.hortic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
it does, thanks!
i just recently learned what the silly "squat" meant too......those girls know who's boss!!!

Pinky

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
South GA
At 00:12 you can see my broody buff orp. hen. They will run around all puffed up when not on their nest. This year she's not broody(for now
hide.gif
)

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
All that they said. I sometimes have hens that do some of this, including growl or peck at you if you reach under them in the nest, and walk around outside all fluffed up and making that clucking sound, yet not really be broody. The hormiones are acting up but they don't totally kick in.

If a hen stays on the nest instead of roosting in her regular spot for two consecutive nights, I give her eggs to hatch. No matter what else she is doing, she does not get eggs until she spends two consecutive nights on the nest. Some of them will fool you.

dretd

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Ft Collins, CO
One of my girls went broody last summer. She sat in the nest box all the time. She would steal eggs from the adjacent nest and sometimes have 14 eggs under her from thievery in the morning. My daughter was worried so she would hand feed Cluckles as she sat on the eggs and gave her drinks from a ramekin. Here are 2 pictures of her:

This is her on the nest. Hopefully you can tell she's puffed out and flattened. Imagine she is growling at me:

28008_broody_cluckes.jpg

This is her when we forced her off the nest for fresh air, think small mad tom turkey:

28008_mad_cluckles.jpg

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
lol....

Mine go "puk" incessantly. When my last one would leave the next area to go with the rest of the flock we'd identify her by the soft "puk puk puk puk puk"

DTRM30

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
If they do go broody and you let them and just wait it out - watch for mites and lice. They will take advantage of a hen sitting all day very quickly.

Top Bottom