How can you tell if a chicken will poo on your lap

LittleChooks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Aberdeenshire, UK
I will be getting chickens very soon and I love holding my friends hens and they love to sit on my lap. I want to do this with my chickens but I was wondering how long I could have them on my lap without them going to the toilet in my trousers. And suggestions and tips on how to tell if theyre going to go?

My lap chickens usually stand up or jump out of my lap when they are about to, but occasionally they will just go. I will hold mine for about a half hour, then I let them go for a while. I can't think of any reliable way to know though, I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say.

Best of Luck! ~Ms.B

Oh and, :welcome

Last edited:
I have no idea how long it is between poops for a chicken. You could watch and when a chicken poos then pick them up, that way your guarantied that they wont poop right away. Or you could keep a baby changing pad handy for when you pick them up.

Mine tend to do this squat motion before they poop, gives me alittle warning to get them off of my lap
wink.png

They tend to stand up, ruffle their feathers, and squat prior to letting one plop. Trust me, you'll become familiar with the signs. Chicks tend to poo more frequently than the adults. I wouldn't hold a chick for more than five minutes.

Back
Top Bottom