How can you tell if a hen is no longer laying?

I've tried all the suggested methods for determining this and have found all but one faulty. The fingers between the pelvic bone is all relative...is she a big ol' gal anyway? If she is, she just may have a wide set pelvis. I've butchered a few good layers due to this whole pelvis issue.

Same with the coloring of the legs, beek, comb, wattles...you name it, color means nothing sometimes. Or sometimes you have a black hen with black legs and then where are you at with the yellow color?

If your lipstick doesn't actually lay but still likes to nest and pretend, you could find lipstick on any egg that was already in the nest and she has sat upon.

Loose and moist vent? Been there, done that. Butchered a gal that had a dry and normal vent, narrow pelvis, pale legs , etc. only to find her full of eggs in all stages of growth.

The only foolproof way I've found is to actually glove up after the gals have hit the roost and do a quick bend over and cough exam.....
tongue.png
A finger up the vent should be able to palpate next day's egg. If you can't feel it, she isn't a daily layer. If that is alright for you, then mark the ones that have an egg. Count your eggs the next day....do the numbers equal?

Next night, do the digital exam again. The marked gals should have another egg and you may find some that weren't marked that have one....these may be your sporadic layers. The gals that have eggs two days in a row are likely your steady layers. I cull all birds that do not have an egg in the canal for two nights in a row. I want daily layers and I'll even take one that lays every other day....but not one that is more sporadic than that.

You must also take into account the time of year....you don't want to cull during moult. Plenty of good layers slow down a little during moult and in the winter months~this is okay with me, they deserve a rest. The best time to cull for laying is in peak laying times when all hens should be producing~Feb/Mar through June/July.

Quote:
Very good approach. Now if I can just get up the nerve to don the gloves and palpate my chickens' hoo-haws.......

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Are you talking about the fact that my first babies may stop laying? I know they will, but I think I will keep them around cuz I just can't see culling my girls! Are old hens good to eat?

Yes beekissed, i agree with you about the pelvic bones. Today I was just trying to figure it out and one hens bones indicated she was a non-layer but I literally just seen her lay an egg. She is just a petite standard I guess. I did check a nice big barred rock and she is a non layer and is only 14 months old. Her feathers are in perfect shape, it does not seem like she is molting. If a hen is molting, would the pelvic exam indicate she is a non-layer or is that only supposed to be when they are old and finished?

Beekissed, when you digitally check, does your finger go in and up or in and down?

Will hens molt and not really show any signs at all that they are molting?

I have to downsize for the winter so I will have to decide who to weed out within the next couple months.

Beekissed, how many hens do you have? How many eggs do you get a day?

Finger goes in and up...sort of at an angle, though. I have 13 laying age hens after my culling early this summer but only 8 are laying right now...one broody and the others are really in moult. I have 17 young pullets coming on at 3 mo. old to take the place of my culled girls.

Some chickens moult lightly, others heavily and this varies from year to year. My roo barely moulted the last 2 years but is really in moult right now. As are several of my gals, some more than others. Some look like they are not moulting but if you look closely you will find some bare spots and new pin feathers under the better looking feathers. I think it all depends on their hormonal levels in any given year as to how much they shed their feathers.

Too funny..I just told my DH that we have to buy lipstick for our 4 hens, since I never wear the stuff.

He asked why, of course.
roll.png

To paint smiley's on their vents, I replied. He roared!
lau.gif

And, yes, I agree with Beekissed's scientific approach, but the lipstick idea sounds so fun!
gig.gif

We have one girl that seems slightly "off". She has no feathers on her butt and a really wobbly,loose crop. More so than the other 3. She's also lowest on their hierarchy, for food, goodies etc..

They are Barred Rocks, about 1 1/2 yrs old and moulting now. We're getting 2 -3 eggs daily.....sometimes only one, but it's hot and they ARE moulting, so we're not too worried...(yet).

Back
Top Bottom