How can you tell if an egg is frozen?

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
It was 12 degrees when I got to the eggs after work yesterday, they were extremely cold to the touch- but I am not sure if they were frozen. They looked like they always do- just extremely cold. Are there any quick test to do to see if they are frozen?

Thanks!

I assume the same test for if an egg is hard boiled or not would work.
Or you could try and drive a twenty penny nail with any egg that you suspect of being frozen.

But my experience is the same as sourland's if it's cracked it's frozen.

One other thing don't try and hatch it. Your setting hen won't speak to you again if you do.
somad.gif

Frozen eggs are still eatable if you let it defrost in the fridge and cook it soon after.

Or when your hens lay more than you can quickly eat you can break a dozen eggs in a freezer safe bowl add salt, mix, and save them for omelets etc. when fresh eggs are scarce.

Last edited:
Or you could try and drive a twenty penny nail with any egg that you suspect of being frozen.

But my experience is the same as sourland's if it's cracked it's frozen.

One other thing don't try and hatch it. Your setting hen won't speak to you again if you do.
somad.gif
But then you would be ruining the good eggs too...

I imagine that once they're removed from freezing temps they thaw quickly without damage.
My fridge went crazy when the weather first cooled off and froze a bunch of eggs. I culled out the cracked leaky ones and sold the rest. I told my customers what happened and asked for feedback and they said they were all normal inside.

Back
Top Bottom