how can you tell if they are molting

snowcone

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
I have a couple of 1 1/2 yr olds with their combs laying down, is that a sign of molting or how can you tell besides not laying?

Molting -- as the name implies -- is shedding of old skin, or feathers, and growing a new skin or coat.

Usually molting chickens lose lots of feathers and look pretty funny. It appears that those who live in a colder climate shed more feathers. If you saw some of the pictures on this board, you would have seen some really sorry looking birds. They almost look diseased.

Molting chickens usually do not lay. All their strength is going into growing new feathers. It is not a pain-free experience. The new shafts pierce the skin and it hurts. Most likely molting chickens are not in the best of moods, so give them some slack if they are not as friendly as usual.

If it looks someone had a pillow fight and broke a down pillow open. There are feathers everywhere.

Quote:
Yeah that.

My birds never have looked too bad during the molt. They just left a fluff of feathers in their wake when they moved quick. A couple of weeks later my White Leghorn hen looked young and super-white again!!! They were lookin pretty scruffy. Still waiting on her two sisters to undergo the transformation
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom