1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how can you tell if they are molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snowcone, Nov 25, 2010.

1. snowcone

snowcone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    I have a couple of 1 1/2 yr olds with their combs laying down, is that a sign of molting or how can you tell besides not laying?

2. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Molting -- as the name implies -- is shedding of old skin, or feathers, and growing a new skin or coat.

Usually molting chickens lose lots of feathers and look pretty funny. It appears that those who live in a colder climate shed more feathers. If you saw some of the pictures on this board, you would have seen some really sorry looking birds. They almost look diseased.

Molting chickens usually do not lay. All their strength is going into growing new feathers. It is not a pain-free experience. The new shafts pierce the skin and it hurts. Most likely molting chickens are not in the best of moods, so give them some slack if they are not as friendly as usual.

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    If it looks someone had a pillow fight and broke a down pillow open. There are feathers everywhere.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yeah that.

My birds never have looked too bad during the molt. They just left a fluff of feathers in their wake when they moved quick. A couple of weeks later my White Leghorn hen looked young and super-white again!!! They were lookin pretty scruffy. Still waiting on her two sisters to undergo the transformation [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by