1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How close to your neighbors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SarahFair, Dec 2, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    How close are your coops to your neighbors?

I want to downsize my coop and my chicken #.
    The most convenient place for feeding and cleaning would be putting my coop on the corner of the feince right next to my neighbors (see picture). Its the highest and driest place in my yard too (Ive been having trouble with flooding..).
    I only want many 5 chickens, if that..
    Right on the other side of the fence is their dog pen which is like 10x10 which they keep two dogs in and never clean out. [​IMG]
    Would it be rude?

[​IMG]

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Do you think it might be dangerous to keep your chickens so close to their dogs? If you think you can do it safely I don't think the neighbors would have a problem. Poop from a few chickens can't be as bad as poop from two dogs. As for rude the chickens might think it is to them. [​IMG]

3. bethinoklahoma

bethinoklahoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    JONES, OK
    no...My yard is my yard. What I do in it is okay...
    Will the dogs bother your chickens? It would be
    rude to ask them to move their dogs ... ;o)
    I think your kind for even thinking of them at all.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Do you have a rooster? That might make it a bad idea. Also, how nice are your neighbors? Do you think they might harm the chickens? I once had a neighbor shoot weed spray at my dogs (on purpose) through the fence. It would probably be best to talk it over with them first. Our city code requires all coops to be at least 50 feet from a neighbor's house.

5. cameldairy

cameldairy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Cairo, GA
    If they have a dog pen right at the dividing fence line, "that they never clean out"[​IMG] then THEY are the rude ones!!! But I think the dogs would be harassing your chickens if they were too close to them. If it were me, I would definitely not put my pen there. Maybe you could get some dirt hauled in to raise the level of your new spot so it won't flood. Or if it's just a hen house with no run, just build it up on stilts, (I know that's not what they're called).

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Just talk to them and see what works for them if you are really concerned. That way they have a heads up. And you want to make sure you meet any zoning regs such as 100 feet for house, etc. Just depends on all your factors. They when you have all your options, you can safely and confidently go ahead. Whether your neighbors really are on board or not. But 5 chickens should bother no one. jmho

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Yikes! Just read the "they never clean it out" on the dog run. I would not to be around that at all.

8. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I seriously think that the dogs would stress the chickens to death - literally

I would choose another site and build it up as best you can, maybe with some landscape timbers, then a gravel base and sand on top. then have your coop raised off of the ground. If your neighbors don't take care of their dogs an you add chickens to the mix, I am afraid that you are heading for trouble. Good luck

9. elizaj57

elizaj57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Tacoma
    Local codes will vary. In my city, you're supposed to be 50' from your neighbor's house. It looks like this qualifies, but I'd be concerned about the chicken's welfare. Dogs on the other side of the fence? You're asking for trouble, and making your birds miserable.

10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i am thinking if you put the chickens near the dogs are you willing to hear them bark all day long at them???????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by