How Clueless Am I? Brahma Roo?

-Eridanus-

Songster
Sep 29, 2023
Illinois
Soooo... I've had this Brahma, named Saide (pronounced like Sadie) for a while, about two years I think. I was sure she was female, I've caught her in the nesting box before. But about a week ago she crowed, just once. It didn't sound quite right but it was definitely a crow. She is acting like a rooster and although I know hens will crow, she also has been chasing other hens. She doesn't mate with the girls, she just chases them. Is this a dominance thing, or is she male? She also has longish tail feathers, which I always overlooked, and she is bigger than my other girls. Am I using the wrong pronoun? I'm also pretty sure she's not a bilateral gynandromorph, because she's mostly appearing to be male, just I am confused bc she's been in the nest box before. I do have a goofy Polish roo who hides in empty nest boxes from the alpha roo though. What am I missing? I will try and grab a picture of her as soon as possible!

A picture would be very helpful. If you can, provide a full body picture, one that shows the face well, and one of the saddle and tail.

Does she have spurs? For being two years old and this is its first crow, I'm thinking hormones are out of wack. First off, a rooster is pretty obvious and typically starts crowing within their first year. On a side note, a rooster will go into a nesting box to help the ladies build a nest.

Does this hen have a rooster? Was she alone or separated from her flock when she crowed? Has she had any recent injuries or trauma? Has she shown any signs of being broody? Could you check her bones under her vent to see if they are split (be careful not to break an egg inside of her.)

Hens do crow, though it isn't always common. A hen chasing around others might be a sign of her bullying. If she is mounting them, she might be expressing dominance or has hormones messed up.

On chickens who are both (which is extremely rare), check out this thread and please read through it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/26254503/

ok here are a couple pics. she is very flighty so they aren't that good, also I don't like chasing if I can help it so these are from a distance away.
image.000003 (3).jpg

image.000000 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom