How cold can chickens take?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattee, Dec 15, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    My hens are in their coop with a heater set at 50 degree's. I was wondering what others do and how cold you all think chickens take?
    Thanks!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    My chickens are unheated in Western Maine. At 3 degress the other day, they were out scratchin in the snow looking for some corn they thought might be there.

When it gets really cold, they stay inside the coop.

Unplug the heater. You are throwing money away by heating a coop in a climate that never needs it.

Wayne

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    That depends on how cold it is in the coop !

20 below here last nite ! I finally broke down and put up a red light as my RIR have black tips on combs:(

5. lizard7

lizard7 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Kansas
    5 degrees this morning, warmed up to 11. Had to take water out to the coop every couple of hours. Still, got an egg from each of my girls. Heat lamps are on and the coop is filled with straw, don't know what else I can do.

[​IMG]

6. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
  7. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    -40 outside here. (with the windchill)
    With the heater, red heat light and roost heat pad turned on the coop is around 20.
    The water freezes and I have to change it, but the girls don't seem too upset.
    They have warm feet and full crops. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  8. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have my chickens in an uninsulated barn. It is going down to -12C tonight (don't know what that is in Fahrenheit). I do NOT have a heat lamp on, my girls are still laying regularly, and all is well with the world. They have lotsa feathers to keep them warm.

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Hi Catalina - I'm in MN too -

It's going to be -20 tonight - that's real temp, not wind chill (which is expected to be -40). Skies are clear and it will be very cold. Today, during the warmest, sunniest part of the day, it was -1.

I have one 250 watt heat light and it keeps the coop about 10 degrees warmer than the outdoor temp. That's not going to help me too much tonight. I'm very glad that I built the coop with insulation, sealed up most all of the drafts and have plenty of deep litter. Still, my heart breaks. My DH has forbidden me from bringing them inside tonight (I only have 4), tho I did ask. I'm sure they will be fine, but man, that's COLD.

Personally, I don't think you need heat in Seattle. Chickens are tougher than I originally gave them credit for. That said, I still wouldn't go with an unheated coop here in MN...

10. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Well I'm leaving my heater on tonight and the 200 wt bulb...
    My chickens won't come out at all! Not to peck in the snow, or even look around... one feel of the wind and they are back in the coop!

Tomorrow I'll turn the heater off and see how they do.

Mine also are still laying eggs, not as many but still laying![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by