How cold can it be before chickens get cold

Danny188

Chirping
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
Just wondering how winter/cold heardy chickens are. Last year in iowa it got to -20 wind chill even colder. So how cold can chickens be before I need to find a heat source for them, also any cheap (under $25) ways to heat a coop besides heat lamps we have power in the coop. Breeds are buff Orpington RIR's and then 1 austrolorp and 1 sapphire gem.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Keep them dry and out of the wind,
but with plenty of ventilation,
and they will be fine.

Last edited:

silkiekeeper

Songster
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I’m in Minnesota. It got in the -20s last winter. I know I didn’t have to, but I did give them heat during that really cold spell they looked miserable. I used an oil radiator.

Ninjasquirrel

Crowing
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Indiana here. We had a polar blast last year(of course the first year raising chickens) and it got to -35 degrees with an even colder wind chill. Since that was very abnormal I gave my birds a light bulb in a concrete block. It made the coop 10 degrees warmer than outside. I also applied vaseline to their combs throughout the day to prevent frost bite. The following day was 10 degrees warmer but still -25 degrees. The next morning it creeped up to -15 and eventually got to zero. During those days I did not let them out of the coop. Once it got to 0 degrees I let them out. They all lived and were fine. I only had 1 small case of frostbite. Shes missing about a centimeter off her comb where it fell off. They can get used to the cold no problem but if temps are abnormal for your area you might want to provide a heat source. I also use thick plastic to line my run to protect them from the windchill. My best advice is that if you are really worried; provide a heat source. Put it on a thermostat to control the temp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom