How cold can my chickens get?

SkylaSilkie

Chirping
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 Silkie roosters,one Bantam/Barrled Rock,3 Buff Orpingtons,2 Sexlinks,1 Barrled Rock,and 2 Bantams.I was hoping I could get some numbers on how cold each breed can get.Im in Florida,and its getting pretty cold.Like, 65 degrees and lower.Im keeping them pretty warm now, but I want to see if I need to keep them really warm,or they can do without some things.

Barred rocks
Orpingtons
Silkies
Are all good but I'm not sure about sex-links sorry, but I think the will be fine, especially the Barred Rocks I have some and they face that weather all the time!
smile.png
yippiechickie.gif
frow.gif

Good luck!

Well, the Rocks were bred in New England long before there was electricity to keep birds warm. Please allow your birds to experience a natural range of temperatures as nature designed them to do. They'll be far healthier and hardier birds.

I can't imagine any cold in Florida being too cold for chickens. Just let them acclimate to it slowly and they can handle it. I'm in Michigan and have never put heat on grown chickens. The coop is well insulated and full of straw and wood chips - We get below 0 and they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom