How cold can my chickens get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SkylaSilkie, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have 2 Silkie roosters,one Bantam/Barrled Rock,3 Buff Orpingtons,2 Sexlinks,1 Barrled Rock,and 2 Bantams.I was hoping I could get some numbers on how cold each breed can get.Im in Florida,and its getting pretty cold.Like, 65 degrees and lower.Im keeping them pretty warm now, but I want to see if I need to keep them really warm,or they can do without some things.

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Barred rocks
    Orpingtons
    Silkies
    Are all good but I'm not sure about sex-links sorry, but I think the will be fine, especially the Barred Rocks I have some and they face that weather all the time!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good luck!

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, the Rocks were bred in New England long before there was electricity to keep birds warm. Please allow your birds to experience a natural range of temperatures as nature designed them to do. They'll be far healthier and hardier birds.

5. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I can't imagine any cold in Florida being too cold for chickens. Just let them acclimate to it slowly and they can handle it. I'm in Michigan and have never put heat on grown chickens. The coop is well insulated and full of straw and wood chips - We get below 0 and they are fine.

7. SkylaSilkie

SkylaSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Im glad that they don't need all that extra gear.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by