How cold can the go?

Glenthehen

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
I have 7 barred rock pullets and one GLW ( at least I think it is a Golden Laced Wyandotte). I live in N. Idaho the nights are getting down to the mid to upper 30’s. I have had the “ ladies” in the brooder box at night with no heat. They are doing just fine. They are fully feathers, and out growing their first home.
I was thinking of permanently moving them into the coop. And putting their brooder plate in with them over night. Is this a good plan?

That should work fine. They could be without heat entirely but if they haven't been acclimated to outdoor temperatures yet giving them the option of heat is the safe route. Or you could work on acclimating over the next week and put them out sans heat.

I agree. If they are fully feathered they should be at least five weeks old. They should be able to handle those temperatures as long as they are out of a breeze.

There is nothing wrong with acclimating them or providing a warm spot for them as long as you avoid fire risk. It is a cautious way to go. I think you'll be fine either way. You might be more comfortable if you are cautious. That has some value.

That should work fine. They could be without heat entirely but if they haven't been acclimated to outdoor temperatures yet giving them the option of heat is the safe route. Or you could work on acclimating over the next week and put them out sans heat.
Thanks. The garage is not heated and they have been without supplemental heat for about a week. We try to give them day trips to the coop as well.
My brooder box is 4’x4’ they just seemed cramped in it. I would like to leave them in it for another 2 or three weeks but it’s just getting to small.

I agree. If they are fully feathered they should be at least five weeks old. They should be able to handle those temperatures as long as they are out of a breeze.

There is nothing wrong with acclimating them or providing a warm spot for them as long as you avoid fire risk. It is a cautious way to go. I think you'll be fine either way. You might be more comfortable if you are cautious. That has some value.
Thanks. I figured and try to think how would I feel if I was in there situation, granted I’m not a chicken lol.

I'm in mountains of Montana....have 8 week babies been in coop since 4 weeks with the momma hen heating pad. Running with the adults. Had flock get thoroughly scattered Monday. 1 baby came up missing. Saw briefly then lost her when she bolted at half dark. Neighbor came over with her yesterday. She'd been hanging out on his porch since Monday. Wind blockbut no heat at all. Overnight temps have been down to freezing. No problems.

Give them a place to warm up if they need it and they'll be just fine.

I'm in mountains of Montana....have 8 week babies been in coop since 4 weeks with the momma hen heating pad. Running with the adults. Had flock get thoroughly scattered Monday. 1 baby came up missing. Saw briefly then lost her when she bolted at half dark. Neighbor came over with her yesterday. She'd been hanging out on his porch since Monday. Wind blockbut no heat at all. Overnight temps have been down to freezing. No problems.

Give them a place to warm up if they need it and they'll be just fine.
Thanks, the just did their first night in the coop. The only problem I had was getting them to go to the enclosure section.
I guess when they figure out where it’s warm they will automatically go there. Just going to manually put them to bed for a couple of day and hope they figure it out.

Last year I built this. When they can get out the upper hole, I open the lower. Lid on unless I'm working with them.
20240313_134153.jpg
2nd batch of chicks in it. The adults take on raising the babies even though no one is broody. Heating pad gets moved into a nest box when the babies start trying to stay outside the tote.

I have only babies this year. I hope once I get them into a routine they will know what to do.

I guess when they figure out where it’s warm they will automatically go there. Just going to manually put them to bed for a couple of day and hope they figure it out.
At that age they are unlikely to be worried about cold or warm. They are creatures of habit. When they get in the habit of going there to sleep, that's where they go. Keep putting them in every night and they will get in that habit.

With some of my broods they learn almost immediately. With some it may take as long as three weeks for the last ones to learn. My broods are often around 20 chicks total. I think my elevated grow-out coop is why they sometimes take so long. With a ground level coop it can go a lot faster.

Back
Top Bottom